Register

Closed Thread

03-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Default Monitoring memory usage?

Can anyone recommend a good way to monitor memory usage? I am running out of memory on my VPS and want an easy way to determine what app might be the cause of this.

When the system reboots, Virtuozzo displays that only about 54% of my memory is being used, but as the day goes on, I see 100% usage and am no longer able to access specific system resources. The only way that I have been able to solve the problem is by frequently rebooting the VPS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Last edited by sjshannon; 03-27-2006 at 12:07 PM.

03-28-2006, 12:45 PM

top?

(padding to make the message long enough...)

03-28-2006, 01:39 PM

The problem that I am seeing with top is that it appears to be showing the total system memory and system memory usage, not what is allocated to my VPS, so there is not an easy way to determine how much memory I have left.

I can use top to determine what processes are taking up a specific amount of memory, but it is still difficult to determine if I really do need to take some action or not.

Top also is including the amount of Swap space that I am using within the memory usage. Right now, by adding up the memory usage of each process, I am using, what appears to be, 375.7MB's...

Top also displays that I have over 4 gig's of RAM...thats the total amount of RAM within the system, not what is allocated to my VPS.

04-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Default Keen to know too.

This would be rather useful to me too.

04-07-2006, 01:18 AM

Well, I think this is what u are searching...
VPSinfo - http://www.labradordata.ca/home/28

Is a script made by Drobbins, from another community, and I can't live without it.

Hope it helps

04-10-2006, 03:11 PM

Yep, that is pretty much what I was looking for. Thank you so much for passing that information along!

Sean

04-19-2011, 07:12 AM

The link is dead. Where can I find that script? I found a monitoring script at wiki vpslink com Memory_Utilization_Script , but my server (not with spry/vpslink) seems not to have /proc/user_beancounters all those scripts rely on. Can that be because I have Xen VM instead of Virtuozzo? How can I monitor my memory on Xen?

So far the best I found is active memory line from /proc/meminfo as described on mrtg prcn co cc MRTG Online . But is that info useful on a Xen VPS? And are there any better plotting solutions than that MRTG Online? I like how minimal they are, but I don't want to trust my data to someone who cannot afford buying a normal .com domain. RRDTool and solutions based on it (e.g. cacti) seems to be too big for a low-profile server such as those at Low End Box site, and I'm lazy to install and configure a separate vhost just to look at my graphs anyway.

P.S. unfortunately no urls could be posted.. But I hope you understood.

I hate spammers!
Closed Thread