Register

Closed Thread

02-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Default Transfer Outage: ETA?

We are currently down... presumably because of the announced data center transfer.

The question is: for how much longer? Does anyone have an ETA? Our ticket has not been answered (probably because they are busy on the move), so we are completely in the dark.

The outage time is mounting now, so we could do with knowing what is going on. I couldn't find any sort of status mage on the Spry site, nor a dedicated thread on here (which I would have expected).

02-16-2007, 06:02 AM

i'll second that, very anxious to know the progress - it has been over 7 hours now... obviously your busy but please keep us informed

02-16-2007, 08:12 AM

I think it's obvious that Spry tends to forget that these forums can be a useful form of communicating with customers. Although we all received emailed notes about the planned outage, they should have also posted some details here (remembering that email is not always the most reliable form of communications). During part of the downtime that I was still conscious for (I gave up around Midnight, MST), the forums were down, the "dnscloud" nameservers were down, and the Barracuda SFW ("filter.spry.com") was online but not accepting mail. However, once these forums were reachable, it would have been good for them to post a status report here....hello, Spry....anybody home? ;-)

DT
Former Employee

02-16-2007, 05:44 PM

The way we have to set up the moves each night makes it very difficult to narrow down a timeline. We have to move all of the servers on a network in one large transfer. This is due to the networking configuration that we use.

Last night also did have the side effect that we moved some of our core servers. This left our support system offline for a few hours as well as these forums. Now that they are back up we will utilize them as an additional point of contact. We are looking at all of the feedback we receive and applying changes on each night. Communication will be prioritized in the next few days as we continue with the migration.

I do apologize for all of the inconvenience this migration may cause. It’s not easy having your server down for a few hours at any time. We understand the frustration caused by maintenance. In the long run this move will benefit everyone. Our new facility has improved cooling, bandwidth redundancy and security.

Please let us know if you have questions or feedback.

Greg Snowden
Support Manager
Spry Hosting

Last edited by greg@spry; 02-16-2007 at 06:02 PM.

02-18-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks for responding, Greg. Will the information on the "Network / Datacenter" be changed to reflect the new facility? Is it still in the Westin Building?

DT
Former Employee

02-18-2007, 06:40 PM

The new datacetner is in a different building. The new building is purpose built with a lot of advantages over the Westin. I posted the press release that our marketing director wrote up in the announcement section.

The website does still state that we're in the Westin, but we'll be changing it soon.
Closed Thread