Register

Closed Thread

01-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Question Shared hosting Q's

Hello,

I'm thinking of signing up with Spry and would like to start with a shared hosting package before upgrading to a dedicated server etc.

My first question is, do you use the Shared Domain Add On system for domain names?

I currently host some sites with another company which are mainly just parked for now so it's no big issue at the moment but it concerns me how Cpanel has this way you setup a domain name but it is not independent but is actually a sub domain.

For example I have a website www.righthosts.com that uses shared hosting and I have a few domain names added to this account.

One of these domain names is www.golfing-forums.com

now if you go to that link you will find the website but you can also find that website by typing in www.righthosts.com/golfing-forums/

I also found that Google does not see this as a proper domain name when using the Google Sitemaps add a site feature which worries me.

So my question is: do you also use the Add-On domain sharing system or would each domain name be independent and be seen by SEO robots correctly?

01-31-2006, 05:33 PM

Thanks for your interest in Spry Hosting.

Spry's shared hosting plans are powered by cPanel, and use Add-on domains in exactly the same way that you are describing. However, web spider results should not be affected unless you are linking site1.com/site2/ somewhere in your site1.com html.

I am unfamiliar with Google's beta sitemap service. I would think that Google would include a feature to creating an exlcusion list of "directories" that you do not want to be associated with the primary domain name. However, I am unable to quickly locate that functionality on their sitemap system.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

02-01-2006, 05:48 AM

ok thanks for the answers. What happens with google is by using the Verify a site feature it won't verify those sub domains ( no site map needs to be added either) as below...

Verification status: http://www.golfing-forums.com/google...03dc9edcc.html NOT VERIFIED
We couldn't find your verification file.

If you go to that google verification file you will see it does exist.

Any ideas on what might be the problem with that?

I have decided to order a reseller account with that hosting co anyway for now but I would still like to look at using your services soon.

02-01-2006, 12:21 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am unable to verify the URL at the moment, as it appears that golfing-forums.com is not propogating DNS:

> nslookup -type=ns golfing-forums.com
Server: 66.249.3.10
Address: 66.249.3.10#53

** server can't find golfing-forums.com: SERVFAIL

This is likely the cause of the Google problems you are having.

02-01-2006, 02:15 PM

Ok yes I'm sorry, I changed name servers as I'm moving them now to new reseller server.

I guess the best idea for me is to just try out a package with Spry and see how it goes,

thanks
Closed Thread