Register

Closed Thread

03-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Default Fedora Core 2?

I was looking through the sign up process today, and when selecting an operating system one of the options was "Fedora Core 2."

Is there a way to request Fedora Core 4, is this a typo, not updated, etc?

Thanks in advance.

03-16-2006, 03:00 PM

Corsec,

Thank you for your interest in Spry Hosting.

The operating system choices available on Spry's VPS hosting plans are limited by a couple of factors. The first limitation is that an operating system must be supported by the Virtuozzo software that divides the host node into VPS virtual environments. Second, control panels are also only compatible with a limited number of operating systems. Therefore, an operating system must be compatible with both Virtuozzo and the particular control panel in order to be available as an option.

Fedora Core 2 is currently the latest version of the FC distribution available on Spry's VPS plans. This is due to a compatibility issue with Virtuozzo that is scheduled to be resolved with future releases of Virtuozzo.

Spry unmanaged dedicated servers are available with FC4. Please let me know if you have any questions.

03-16-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep
This is due to a compatibility issue with Virtuozzo that is scheduled to be resolved with future releases of Virtuozzo.
Firstly, thanks for the quick response. It is greatly appreciated.

Second, when the compatibility issue is resolved and once it is confirmed to work (QA and all that jazz), will the available OS be updated as well?

03-16-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsec
when the compatibility issue is resolved and once it is confirmed to work (QA and all that jazz), will the available OS be updated as well?
Corsec,

Thanks for your reply. Spry strives to offer as many OS choices as possible, limited only by the compatibility constraints of Virtuozzo. As new kernels are supported by Virtuozzo, Spry will evaluate the performance and reliability of these new offerings, and offer additional operating system choices on our VPS plans.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

Mike Plummer
Spry Hosting
888.808.SPRY

03-17-2006, 11:58 AM

How soon can we expect to see Fedora Core 4?

Virtuozzo has supported Core 4 since it's latest update, v3, which has been out for the past month.

03-17-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshannon
Virtuozzo has supported Core 4 since it's latest update, v3, which has been out for the past month.
That is exactly right. Spry does have a Core 4 template in active development. It is on schedule for availability by the end of March. If you would like to be personally notified when it is available please let me know, or contact sales.

04-24-2006, 09:30 AM

We are now into the last week of April and I have been waiting for FC4. I would like to be kept aprised of the situation as I am looking to upgrade my current Spry VPS, but at this point, Spry seems to be lacking when it comes to rolling out new operating systems.

We were originally told that it would be ready by the end of March. I was then told the first week of April. It is now the last week of April and no update.

Can the situation be clarified? If there is a show stopping problem with FC4, please, let us know so we aren't sitting here waiting for a solution that keeps getting pushed back.

05-02-2006, 02:42 PM

Fedora Core 4 is now available on Spry's Plesk and Webmin VPS hosting plans:
http://spry.com/plesk-vps
http://spry.com/webmin-vps

Fedora Core 4 cPanel VPS installations will follow later this week.
Closed Thread