Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: cPanel invalid license file

  1. #1
    Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    455

    Default cPanel invalid license file

    cPanel VPS administrators take note...

    Changing your servers hostname WILL invalidate your cPanel license! (The hostname will also change back to what Spry set it to on next reboot anyway, so don't change the hostname yourself.)

    If you want to change your servers hostname, create a ticket for our support technicians.

    If for some reason you still want to change your hostname without making it permanent, and need to access WHM/cPanel, either reboot your VPS to reset the hostname, or SSH to the server (as the root user) and run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt. This will update the license file with your current hostname, and push the change to cPanel's license verification servers auth.cpanel.net and verify.cpanel.net.

    More info at cPanelPlanet.com

  2. #2
    Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle@Spry
    cPanel VPS administrators take note...

    Changing your servers hostname WILL invalidate your cPanel license!
    I did not change anything but I am getting the message unknown licence file.

    Any idea? That is the second time in last three days, the first went back to normal after few minutes but now is more then couple hours and still I can not access neither my cpanel nor WHM.

  3. #3
    Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwcnews
    I did not change anything but I am getting the message unknown licence file.
    "unknown licence"? I've never seen that error message before. What is the exact wording of the error message? (Use copy & paste, please.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcnews
    Any idea? That is the second time in last three days, the first went back to normal after few minutes but now is more then couple hours and still I can not access neither my cpanel nor WHM.
    Have you tried running /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt as suggested in this post? Without seeing the actual error message, I cannot make a guess as to what else might be causing this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle@Spry
    "unknown licence"? I've never seen that error message before. What is the exact wording of the error message? (Use copy & paste, please.)

    Have you tried running /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt as suggested in this post? Without seeing the actual error message, I cannot make a guess as to what else might be causing this.
    It is working now. However, I always have a little problem with WHM. Each time I log in, goes to update and some times takes half an hour to finish, and some times stucks on 20% and keep going till I give up and close it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Advisory: As of April 3rd, 2009 we have tested changing the hostname on a cPanel VPS running WHM / cPanel 11.0 to confirm that this behavior will not invalidate a WHM / cPanel license as licenses are bound to an IP address and not a hostname.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •