Thread: Weird Perl / sendmail problem

Junior Member Newbie

Question Weird Perl / sendmail problem

I'm not sure whether this is a coding error or a problem with Sendmail. I'm writing a script that accepts input from a webpage and then emails an administrator.

The relevent section reads like this:

Code:
    # send the email

open MAIL, "|$sendmail -oi -t" or die "Can't open pipe to Sendmail: $!\n";

print MAIL <<"EOF";
    To: $destination
    Subject: New Activation Request from $username

Hello there,

I recently registered on the church website and would like you to activate my account.

My address, as listed on the Church Roll, is:
    $address

My username on the website is:
    $username

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
    $fullname

EOF

close MAIL or die "Can't close pipe to Sendmail: $!\n";
    If $destination is, for example, davidiwharper@hotmail.com, everything works fine. If it is root@localhost it works fine. But if it is david.harper@euc.org.au (euc.org.au being one of the domains hosted inside the Signature VPS), the "Can't close pipe to Sendmail" error shows and the message is saved in ~/dead.letter.

Is this a scripting error, Sendmail configuration problem or a bug?

Junior Member Newbie

Default weird perl!

I am having the exact same problem. I can send an email using a perl sendmail script to an address such as "name@domain.com", but I cannot send one to "name@domain.more.com" . The extra periods or domains seem to cause the problem. I have tried "name\@domain\.more\.com as well, to "escape" the characters.
    I am not a real programer, but a dedicated web enthusiast and amateur programmer. I am using a perl script called AlphaMail. I love everything about it except the problem listed above. I have had the same problem with 4 other perl sendmail scripts. It is interesting to read your problem is the same as mine. I hope someone can help us both!