Thread: Best way to migrate from another provider?

Junior Member Newbie

Question Best way to migrate from another provider?

I currently host 6-7 domains on a VPS server with another hosting provider. I'm considering migrating from them to Spry due to numerous issues with data being lost, server going down, and performance being really lousy. I'm pretty comfortable with getting the web sites moved, setting up each of the e-mail accounts, etc., but I am a little nervous about how to effectively handle the actual switchover with regards to e-mail. When I update the DNS registration to start pointing to DNS records at Spry, it is my understanding that this change take some time to propagate out. During this time, it would be possible for mail to end up being delivered to either the old or new mailboxes. What is the best way to minimize this issue during the migration and what's the best way to forward any mail that was delivered to the old mailboxes?

Thanks!

Spry Manager Newbie

You're right - email messages may go to either server for a period of time following the DNS change, while this change propagates. The first thing to do is to drop the TTL on all of the zone files and MX records on your old server - I would say drop them down to about 5 minutes. Do this several days in advance of your move.

The other thing that you can do is to setup the mailserver at Spry using a different hostname (like mail2.domain.com), then configure your existing mailserver to forward messages to that new hostname. Depending on what the mailserver setup is, you would have many options of how to accomplish that forwarding.

Unfortunately, the simple truth is that there's no way to eliminate the possibility of email getting to the old server after the switch, so you'll just need to watch the old server until you're certain that no more legitimate email is being sent there.

Junior Member Newbie

I'm going to be in this same issue. So you mean even though say site abc.com is up on spry that some of the mail could still go to the old server?

I'm assuming that the propogation takes place over time and during that time it could go to the old and new depending on when it changes?

Spry Manager Newbie

That's correct. Essentially, the "old" DNS record gets cached in various places around the internet, and will remain in use until the cache gets cleared. Any email relying on the "old" cached copy will go to the old server.

This is why it's important to lower the TTL for the zones and MX records as far in advance of the actual migration as you are able. The TTL is what instructs the rest of the internet how long to trust that record before going to lookup the record again from an authoritative source.

Unfortunately, some places ignore the TTL and cache any and every DNS record for some arbitrary length of time - usually 24 hours or less, but you never know.

Junior Member Newbie

Where can you find and change the TTL and MX information?

Former Employee Newbie

On the new server, the options are in your WHM control panel. If you go to "Basic cPanel/WHM Setup" you can edit the TTL and other nameserver information. The MX record is in "DNS Functions" for the domain zone that gets created. On the old host, it really depends on what platform you are using and if you have access to a control panel.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by greg@spry
    On the new server, the options are in your WHM control panel. If you go to "Basic cPanel/WHM Setup" you can edit the TTL and other nameserver information. The MX record is in "DNS Functions" for the domain zone that gets created. On the old host, it really depends on what platform you are using and if you have access to a control panel.
    On the hold/current host I don't have access to that area.

I did move over one of my accounts the other night and kept testing e-mails during that time.

It seemed like it was no more than 2 hours or so before everything came into the new server.

Also it seemed like the mails that were on the old server ended up coming into the new one after everything switched over.

I figure if I can do most of my changes at 2 in the morning or so when hardly any e-mails are sent by my customer that should help cut down the possibility of lost e-mails.

Junior Member Newbie

I wouldn't worry too much, in the "old days" it took 48-72 hours. Last time I changed MX DNS records they seemed to propigate within 4 hours! Good luck.

Junior Member Newbie

Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,