Thread: Bandwidth and Allowed use

Junior Member Newbie
    Grand Island, New York, USA (NEar Niagra Falls)

Question Bandwidth and Allowed use

Hi,

I would like to buy a Dedicated Server from Spry. It will run my mail server (courier-mta), light duty web server (apache/php), offsite backup of about 100gb in files, and likely several light duty vmware images. I've priced out my needs on your web page and am happy with the resultant price. That said, I have several questions:

1) May I run a mail server from the box, if so do I need route incoming or outgoing mail through a relay?
    2) Aside from obvious security items like not having the mail server be an open relay, what restrictions (such as max number of emails sent outbound, etc) are placed on mail servers esp. if they host a small mailing list or two?
    2) IF I purchase the 100mbs bandwidth upgrade, can I saturate this link up to my bandwidth allotment? What is the bandwidth allotment?
    3) What happens if one exceeds their alloted bandwidth (If there is one)?
    4) IF I choose centos and there is a kernel update (CentOS 4 enters maintenance mode in feb 200, how do I recover from a problem like a failed reboot?
    5) If there is a hardware problem (say a disk dies) how do I arrange for replacement?
    6) How are major OS updates handled (say in 2008 you all switch to offering CentOS 5)?
    7) Do you offer IPv6? IF not, do you plan to?

TIA,

Sam S.

P.S. no, no pr0n, spam or pirate files here. Just light duty offsite stuff and moderate duty mail use.

Former Employee Newbie

Hello Sam

Since you have full root access to the box, you can install any software or updates that you wish. In fact, unless it is a SpryBox, our support team can not even log onto the machine. This gives you an amazing amount of control over your situation. You can install any mail server of your choice. The mail is sent directly from your machine and does not go through a relay.
    You can transmit as much data as you wish within your ports throughput. However, there is a limit of bandwidth per month. The amount depends on which plan you are looking at. The cost for exceeding the quota.
    If you need a reboot, or any hardware work done, all you need to do is contact support. We do still handle the hardware, even if you don't support the software.
    At this time we do not support IPv6. It is a topic of discussion, however it is fairly low on the list of priorities.

Greg

Junior Member Newbie
    Grand Island, New York, USA (NEar Niagra Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by greg@spry
    Hello Sam
    <snip>
    You can transmit as much data as you wish within your ports throughput. However, there is a limit of bandwidth per month. The amount depends on which plan you are looking at. The cost for exceeding the quota.
    <snip>
    Greg
    Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am looking at "ValueBox" with pretty much all the upgrades (250gb disk, 2gb memory, 100mps port). What is the quota (I expect an initial transfer in 25gb of mail and approx 100gb of files and iso's over a months time and then <10gb (with surges to ~50 gb) a month[my current average at godady vps]) and how will it cost if I exceed that quota?

Yours,

Sam S.

Former Employee Newbie

You should be fine with a ValueBox based on your estimates. The ValueBox allows 2000GB of transfers per month.