Thread: FrontPage-based Web sites

Junior Member Newbie

Default FrontPage-based Web sites

My Web site is currently being hosted by Spry.com. I'm fairly new to Web design so I don't know all the technical lingo. I recently purchased Microsoft FrontPage 2003 because I use it at work I'm somewhat familiar with it. I've posted some of the single pages I've developed using FrontPage to my Web site, such as a links page and a Photo Gallery. Some of the links to photographs did not work after uploading everything. I had to use the HTML editor in cPanel to create the hyperlinks. This was fairly cumbersome to say the least.

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. Maybe you've been where I am now and you remember the frustration you experienced.

1. How do I publish a FrontPage-based Web site to my cPanel?

2. Do I need to delete any of the folders that pre-existed when I first initiated service with Spry?

3. What URL do I use to access the Spry Remote Web site?

4. Can I open my remote Web site in FrontPage?

5. Is there a tutorial I could use to assist me in this process?

Thanks..

david@spry

Here is a link that should give or help you find some answers to all or some of the questions: spry.com/support/docs/index.php?title=Cpanel_and_WHM_Tutorials#Cpanel_Tu torials

Junior Member Newbie

Default FrontPage-based Web sites

I found the information located at the following link to be extremely useful.

My recommendation to Spry Hosting would be to add a simple tutorial for us less experienced web masters.

powerpackedhosting.com/cPanel

Banned Newbie

Hmm, I have also used FrontPage a few years ago but I never got really used to it. Switched to other software and tools because the problems you mention in the first post are thing you can avoid by using other website software.

Junior Member Newbie

I haven't really done any web work since 2004, but I worked full-time as a web developer for 4 years prior to that. So my experiences may be somewhat out of date, but since you asked, here they are for what it's worth: FrontPage SUCKS. I had a job where I had to use FrontPage because the other person I was working with (who had started the project) was using it, and it was a nightmare. I spent twice as much time fixing the crap code FrontPage spewed out than I did actually working in it. Once that person left and I took over the job on my own, I talked the management of the department I was working for into buying Dreamweaver for me, which made my life a heck of a lot easier. To be honest, I've always preferred coding HTML and CSS by hand, rather than using a WYSIWIG tool, but if you want to use the latter then Dreamweaver is far and away the best it also made managing large sites with hundreds or thousands of pages much easier, though I still ended up editing a fair number of files by hand, as no WYSIWIG app will ever generate code as good as a person can, IMO. I will never, ever use Front Page again as long as I live, if I can help it, and I will also do my best dissuade anyone else from ever using it! (Just being honest... )