Thread: Backing up my server?

Junior Member Newbie

Question Backing up my server?

Currently, I'm using duplicity to back up my VPS.

It appears to be working fine, although I've not actually tried a full disaster recovery test.

However, if I have to restore it, it's going to take a while -- it's backed up to my server at home -- i.e. it's on the wrong side of an ADSL line (and of the Atlantic).

The Spry website says that you guys take nightly backups. If I need something restored, how do I go about doing that? Do I just contact support and tell them that I need (for example) /home and /var restored?

In the Virtuozzo control panel, under Maintenance, there's a button labelled "New Backup". What does this do? Would I get billed for using it?

Former employee Newbie

You would create a support ticket by logging on to https://www.spry.com/support/myaccount/login.php and requesting specific directories to be restored. Do not use the backup feature in the VZPP, as it is broken and can create an unusable system. Please do a traceroute to your VPS to see what hardware node you are on, so that we may disable it to prevent the corruption of anyone's VPS. the hardware node will be called something like vzXX-YYY.spry.com where XX is either 32 or 64, and YYY is a 3 digit number

--
    Spry Support

Junior Member Newbie

Default Did the traceroute

Got this:

vz64-006.spry.com [209.59.204.46]

Banned Newbie

So your back up server is at home and the main server is in a different location. Wont back ups be done automatically??? Why should you do it every night???