Thread: Need to upgrade PHP to 5.1 or higher & can't get Yum installed

Question Need to upgrade PHP to 5.1 or higher & can't get Yum installed

I am a newbie big time to Linux/Unix and the SSH (and Plesk for that matter). First VPS for me and first Linux webserver too.

I have Plesk 8.1.1 loaded on Fedora Core 4.

Currently I am running PHP 5.0.4 which I needed to get up above 5.1 at least to run some of my software. I have also been having problems getting YUM loaded as well.

I wouldn't mind getting mySQL up off the 4.1 level that its on too.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Default What I found out from support at spry.com

Ok, I eventually turned to the support guys at Spry.com and here's what they told me.

As far as Yum is concerned:
    We do not install Yum with the base install as it has caused many of our less experienced linux administrator customers to break their system beyond repair by upgrading key system components. (Plesk is very version dependent, so use of the Plesk Updater is recommended.)

About upgrading things like PHP and MySQL:
    The full GNU build toolchain is installed, so source compilation is possible and
    recommended (Unable to post URLs as I don't have enough posts yet)

I actually followed these directions here --> (Unable to post URLs as I don't have enough posts yet) to upgrade my system to PHP 5.2.3

If you are installing Moodle (which is my case), you also have to deal with a thing that is automatically turned on called OPEN_BASEDIR which is in the httpd.include file. But don't edit this file as Plesk just rewrites it. Apparantly, you can add vhost.conf file or something that will be override settings in the httpd.include but not overwritten when Plesk does anything(I am still working this all out to this is the theory). You can also add this to the Skeleton so any new domains or subdomains can have these settings. Again, this is all theory as I am still working on it but just thought I would share what I have found out.