Thread: VPSlink vs Spry for speed?

Junior Member Newbie

Default VPSlink vs Spry for speed?

Hello,

Is VPSLINK's connections faster than Spry's?

Reason for asking is I have 2 vps with spry and while the uptime and everything else is PHENOMENAL, the speed for displaying webpages is rediculously slow. I came from midphase who's uptime/support was crap, but their connections were blazingly fast (fastest I've ever seen for vps).

Just to give you an idea of the difference, ftp uploading a 5 meg file to my vps with midphase was done in say 15 seconds, spry was at least 30 - 45 seconds. One of my websites when on midphase displays in about 1-2 seconds, with spry takes up to 6 for the full page to load.

I want to stick with spry, but the speed of the vps' are not good enough for me.

Thanks,
    Joe

Member Newbie

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing less then great results with the speed of your VPS. The file transfer speed between users and there VPS's can vary depending on certain factors.

Have you tried raising a support ticket yet about this issue?
    Last edited by Brad@Spry; 08-03-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sprydotcom View Post
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing less then great results with the speed of your VPS. The file transfer speed between users and there VPS's can vary depending on certain factors.

Have you tried raising a support ticket yet about this issue?
    Hello,

Yes I have and they said they were working on it but that was ohhh a month ago perhaps? I thought it may have been the specific server I was on so I purchased another vps yet still the same issue. The second vps purchase was purchased 4 months after the first one so I'm pretty sure it would be on a different server.

This speed issue seems to be very common here as many other users I know have the exact same issues.

Thanks,
    Joe

Junior Member Newbie

Joe

we have been complaining to Spry tech support about slow web page speeds for months.

Recently we set up a copy of our website on ProVPS to see if the slow page speeds we were experiencing were due to our code as Spry repeatedly advised or with Spry's service.

In tests this morning we found that our web pages on the Spry VPS took 22 seconds on average to download. In the same tests at the same time we found that our web pages on a ProVps 384 server took 9 seconds on average to download. This is a 60% performance improvement on a server that is lower spec on paper than our Spry plan.

As a result we have decided to cancel our hosting service with Spry and move our site to ProVPS.

So all you need to do to improve your web page speed 60% overnight is move to a better web hosting service.

Junior Member Newbie

Isn't VPSLink a subsidiary of Spry? Meaning the same datacenter?

Senior Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRichard View Post
    Isn't VPSLink a subsidiary of Spry? Meaning the same datacenter?
    Same datacenters (SEA and now NYC), yes - this remains a legitimate question (i.e. different hardware profiles, networking arrangements, et cetera) however, at this point in time, the only difference between performance across brands would be in the case of the dedicated-resource plans now available at Spry.

Performance on lower-level Spry plans and all VPSLink plans may be affected by the use of resources by neighbors on the hardware node, whereas the Spry dedicated resource plans provide greater isolation from disk contention (or, in the case of the dedicated node plan, complete isolation).