Thread: Remote Backup of VPS

Junior Member Newbie

Default Remote Backup of VPS

I'm using a CPanel VPS 400 account with Linux for a number of applications. Web site, Wiki, ... About 10 months ago, there was some sort of failure and we lost everything. I was on vacation (unreachable) at the time so it was about 10 days before I could do anything. When I requested a restore, support was able to do it, but the restore was an entirely clean (empty) system. Obviously, I was a little upset

Since then I have been trying to figure out how to keep this from happening again. What I found out (correct me if I'm wrong) is that backups are kept for 1 week, and then overwritten. This makes since, you can't keep old data forever. So, it seems to me, that if we ever have another failure I have 7 days to recognize it and request a restore.

As my company has grown, I am storing more and more data that is very important to my customers. I'm looking for a backup solution that will give me a longer backup retention than 7 days. I've checked into some automated off-site backup solutions, but we have been unsuccessful getting their software to work correctly on our vps. I could certainly write (grab off the internet) a backup script and even set up a cron job to run it but I'd need some place to send the backup file (some other ftp site). I certainly don't mind purchasing space somewhere else to store my data. I'm sure others have successfully dealt with this problem, and I'm looking for some ideas. Perhaps I'm making this too complicated. PLEASE HELP !!

Thanks

Former employee Newbie

Hello,

A cost efficient backup system setup can be run from a desktop PC at your office. rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) is commonly used to backup files, as it can be configured to backup only the required files.

One advantage to this scenario are the cost of setup, since you're already paying for an internet connection to your office, you're completely eliminating the cost of hosting a server in a datacenter. The cost of hardware is smaller since you don't need a powerful server to be a backup server, an old PC with a large drive (You'd probably want 2 for raid 1) installed would be much cheaper than a 1u server with that setup.

Another advantage is that you have physical access to your backups, which can be comforting in times of crisis.

The major downside to this scenario is that SOHO internet connections typically have a much smaller upload speed than download speed, and that may affect the speed of a restoration, but you may have SDSL, which has the same upload speed as download speed.

Max V.
    Spry Support

Junior Member Newbie

As a Windows frontend for rsync, I use DeltaCopy. You can even schedule DeltaCopy to sync with your rsync server nightly using Windows Scheduler.