Thread: Enabling RBL lists in Exim

Former Employee Newbie

Cool Enabling RBL lists in Exim

(You will have to do this through WHM if you want to make the changes permanent, otherwise any changes will be overwritten during the next WHM/Cpanel update Main >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor >> Advanced Editor. You may want to make a copy from the command line first just in case you mess things up 'cp /etc/exim.conf /etc/exim.conf.bak')

RBL, or Real-time Blackhole Lists, are lists of IP addresses from known spammers. You can use these lists in Exim to reject email from said spammers using the steps below;

Scroll down to the three text input boxes just below "begin acl"
    In the *middle* box find the line " accept hosts = :" and just after that line insert the following

#**# RBL List Begin
    #**#
    #
    # Always accept mail to postmaster & abuse
    #
    accept domains = +local_domains
    local_parts = postmaster:abuse
    #
    # Check sending hosts against DNS black lists.
    # Reject message if address listed in blacklist.
    deny message = ${sender_host_address} is listed at ${dnslist_domain}; See ${dnslist_text}
    !hosts = +relay_hosts
    !authenticated = *
    dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org : bl.spamcop.net
    #**#
    #**# RBL List End

If you haven't already I would strongly advise that your register at the Cpanel forums at forums.cpanel.net for more information on crushing spam.

Malcolm B
    Spry Hosting Support

Former Employee Newbie

Cool Pushing the knife in further - Part 1

Spam. I hate it. I want to kill it.

Lately I have been working in Exim quite a bit trying to come up with better ways of murdering Spam. Enabling RBL's has worked great, but with further tweaking I have gotten it to run even better. I have discovered a couple of new gems this week that help lower the overall system resources used by Exim/Spamassassin.

If you '-bash-2.05b# vi /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf ' you will see the line;

# trusted_networks 212.17.35.

You can uncomment that line and add the IP address of your mailserver and localhost (and whatever other IPs you want to trust);

trusted_networks 127.0.0.1
    trusted_networks 66.249.0.28

The other setting I found was whitelist_auth. You can add this anywhere in the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf. 'whitelist_auth' will only work if you are using SPF, DKIM, or DomainKeys to verify senders.

whitelist_auth dave@example.com
    whitelist_auth *@spry.com

For more info type 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' from the command line.

These settings will help lower the amount of mail that Spamassassin has to process by ignoring all mail coming from your server and any other trusted IP.

Former Employee Newbie

Cool Pushing the knife in further - Part 2

A further tweak to the RBL settings listed above is to add a setting that ignores any domains listed in the /etc/localdomains file. This will help lower the resources usage by ignoring local domains. Domains are automatically added to /etc/localdomains when configured through WHM/Cpanel to have mail handled locally.

The setting you want to your Exim configuration is '!domains = +local_domains'. If you have already enable RBL using the instructions above just add the line to the end of your RBL code, or cut and past the whole entry below.

(You will have to do this through WHM if you want to make the changes permanent, otherwise any changes will be overwritten during the next WHM/Cpanel update Main >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor >> Advanced Editor. You may want to make a copy from the command line first just in case you mess things up 'cp /etc/exim.conf /etc/exim.conf.bak')

#**# RBL List Begin
    #**#
    #
    # Always accept mail to postmaster & abuse
    #
    accept domains = +local_domains
    local_parts = postmaster:abuse
    #
    # Check sending hosts against DNS black lists.
    # Reject message if address listed in blacklist.
    deny message = ${sender_host_address} is listed at ${dnslist_domain}; See ${dnslist_text}
    !hosts = +relay_hosts
    !authenticated = *
    dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org : bl.spamcop.net
    !domains = +local_domains
    #**#
    #**# RBL List End

Former Employee Newbie

Exclamation Update!

WHM/Cpanel has now made this process a lot easier! All you have to do is log into your WHM at Main >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor and check these to boxes:

Reject mail at SMTP time if the sender host is in the bl.spamcop.net rbl
    Reject mail at SMTP time if the sender host is in the zen.spamhaus.org rbl

Then select 'Save'