Thread: HOWTO Install...

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Default HOWTO Install...

This thread I intend to add links to various "HOWTO install" pages. We get asked quite frequently how to install various software package on VPS's, I'd like to make this a one-stop shop for all the various installation help pages I've used in the past.

WordPress
    Ruby
    Ruby on Rails
    Python
    Java
    PHP-GD
    Zope
    Plone

Junior Member Newbie

Default Rails?

It's not really helpful. It seems there's need to be a special config to run Rails on spry.com

Member Newbie

Default How to install . . . Wordpress

OK, I've created the mysql database, the username, the password, I've restarted the mysql server, all the files have been uploaded. But, the next thing on the list is running install.php from a web browser, and THAT is not happening for me.

This is the error I'm getting (I copied wp-load.php, install.php, and wp-config.php to the home directory):

Warning: main(/home/dandee/wp-load.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/dandee/public_html/install.php on line 18

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/home/dandee/wp-load.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/dandee/public_html/install.php on line 18

I get this error when I try to run it from the directory I created for Wordpress:

The requested URL /Wordpress/wp-admin/install.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Do I need to update php? My cpanel says it's 4.4.2

Senior Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jjjm View Post
    OK, I've created the mysql database, the username, the password, I've restarted the mysql server, all the files have been uploaded. But, the next thing on the list is running install.php from a web browser, and THAT is not happening for me.
    I was unable to bring up your account at Spry using your contact e-mail address - could you PM me the e-mail address which you use to log in at My.Spry.com for further assistance?

Member Newbie

In the meantime, I've been trying other things, and I found the Wordpress support (?) forum . . . first, after moving wordpress to be directly under public_html, it was it couldn't open the database, now it's:

Warning: main(/home/dandee/public_html/Wordpress/wp-admin/includes/upgrade.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/dandee/public_html/Wordpress/wp-admin/upgrade.php on line 21

Senior Member Power Poster

It appears as though the wp-admin/includes/ directory is missing on your installation - my best recommendation would be to unpack the wordpress-2.8.2.zip file on your local machine and upload the contents directly to the desire location under your public_html folder on your webserver.

Member Newbie

Funny, that's what I DID do--unpack locally! I used an FTP client to upload it all and it took a really long (relatively) time--that amuses me, that the dir that's missing is called "includes"!!

Thanks for checking that out, Dan! That did it.

Is it a good idea to update php? Or not.