Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chico server SSL Access Status?

Junior Member Newbie

Default Chico server SSL Access Status?

Hello,

I cannot access mail or CPanel over SSL either through doublerebel.com or chico.spry.com. Is there an estimate for the length of downtime?

Thanks,

dblrbl

EDIT: Back up again. Soo, downtime was about 8 hours. Thanks.
    Last edited by dblrbl; 01-24-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: SSL Now Working

Senior Member Power Poster

We are very sorry about the downtime - we found that a user on the server was running an extremely resource-intensive script which was causing intermittent service issues across accounts hosted on chico.spry.com

We have addressed the abusive script as a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy - please let us know if you encounter any further difficulty.

Junior Member Newbie

I just signed up for TWO accounts that got put on chico.spry.com server, and both are running at extremely slow speed. When I put in a ticket wondering why I couldn't log in to cpanel, I got the following response:

Hello,

There are some load problems on the server at the moment. We will be
    resolving them within the week, by distributing all shared hosting
    clients across multiple servers. One client in particular was using alot
    of slow MySQL queries, and we have notified them of the issue, and given
    them 1 week to resolve it.

Additionally, the control panel at https//chico.spry.com:2083 is
    extremely responsive at the moment. If you are still experiencing
    problems, please send us a traceroute from your location.

--
    Spry Support

Notice that this is roughly the same reason that DanL used a month earlier?

Secondly, am I expected to WAIT A WEEK FOR A RESOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?

I have never heard of something like that, even from the most unreliable hosting service. In fact, if a host found a user that was taking up all of the server resources, they immediately suspended that user until the problem was fixed, NOT wait for the USER to get around to fixing the problem.

Third, if you knew the server was a problem, WHY IN THE BLUE BLAZES DID YOU SIGN ME ONTO THAT SERVER NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE? Surely chico is not the only server you have for shared hosting.

Fourth, I put in a followup to ticket #397104 asking to fix the problem by either by shutting the offending account down, or move me somewhere else right now. If you can't or won't do that, then you should immediately let me know and I will demand a refund and go somewhere else.

Twenty four hours later, and I have gotten no response.

What the hell has happened to SPRY? Have you gotten too big that either you just don't care, or gotten too big that you just can't handle it? I am having a real problem seeing a third option.

Junior Member Newbie

Okay, I have had enough. ANOTHER 24 hours passed, and two phone calls before it was determined that THERE IS ONLY ONE SHARED HOST SERVER, and if something causes it to slow down to a crawl, or if the server finally takes a dirt nap, then everything is effected.

I've tried to load cpanel a few moments ago, and it took almost four minutes on my Verizon 30/30 mbps fios connection.

Additionally, sales just told me that the "100 percent uptime" claim doesn't cover shared web hosting plans. (something that they neglected to tell you, and something that is implied when you look at the advertising)

Off to SiteGround.com.

Quote Originally Posted by djallyn View Post
    I just signed up for TWO accounts that got put on chico.spry.com server, and both are running at extremely slow speed. When I put in a ticket wondering why I couldn't log in to cpanel, I got the following response:

Hello,

There are some load problems on the server at the moment. We will be
    resolving them within the week, by distributing all shared hosting
    clients across multiple servers. One client in particular was using alot
    of slow MySQL queries, and we have notified them of the issue, and given
    them 1 week to resolve it.

Additionally, the control panel at https//chico.spry.com:2083 is
    extremely responsive at the moment. If you are still experiencing
    problems, please send us a traceroute from your location.

--
    Spry Support

Notice that this is roughly the same reason that DanL used a month earlier?
    Resource abuse is a recurring issue which is often attended to by our system administrators - in the prior case of January 25th, a user was running a script which clearly violated the Spry Acceptable Use Policy.

The recent incident which you discussed with our technician was not an instance of intentional misuse of shared resources. We have notified the account holder responsible and we are monitoring the account to ensure its usage has no further impact on chico.spry.com's performance.

Secondly, am I expected to WAIT A WEEK FOR A RESOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?

. . .

Surely chico is not the only server you have for shared hosting.
    As stated, we have notified the account holder - you should have ready access to your account at this time.

Our technician mentioned a one week turnaround as we intend to roll out additional shared hosting hardware to keep pace with demand.

We have three total shared hosting servers in service at this time.

Okay, I have had enough. ANOTHER 24 hours passed, and two phone calls before it was determined that THERE IS ONLY ONE SHARED HOST SERVER, and if something causes it to slow down to a crawl, or if the server finally takes a dirt nap, then everything is effected.
    I am sorry for any confusion on this matter. This may have been a matter of miscommunication.

Additionally, sales just told me that the "100 percent uptime" claim doesn't cover shared web hosting plans. (something that they neglected to tell you, and something that is implied when you look at the advertising)
    I have discussed our existing policy with our sales and billing department: We will honor our Always On Policy for downtime, however, performance issues are not explicitly covered by this policy.

If your site is timing out and otherwise unreachable, my best recommendation would be to contact us to investigate the issue and inquire about the Always On Policy as it applies to the present situation. If we determine that the issue is related to another user's activities and the issue could not be resolved immediately, we will honor the Always On Policy for performance issues resulting in inaccessibility.

Junior Member Newbie

Default down?? //chico.spry.com:2083/

this won't come up in my browser

chico.spry.com:2083/

is this down? I can't log in of course

(I edited the url since this was my first post)

Quote Originally Posted by N7r3pyd View Post
    this won't come up in my browser

chico.spry.com:2083/

is this down? I can't log in of course

(I edited the url since this was my first post)
    I was able to connect when testing - which URL are you attempting to connect with?

http://chico.spry.com:2083/ (HTTP - disabled)

https://chico.spry.com:2083/ (SSL - is up and running at this time)

Junior Member Newbie

The second one with "https"

Could it be my connection or IE settings?

Quote Originally Posted by N7r3pyd View Post
    Could it be my connection or IE settings?
    Yes, it is definitely possible that this could be a connectivity issue.

1) Have you been able to access the page from your machine in the past? (If so, is it possible that your network configuration or settings may have changed?)

2) What is the exact error message which you receive when attempting to connect?

3) Please run a tracert and post back the results:

- Go to the Start button

- Select Run

- Enter cmd to open the Windows console

- Enter tracert chico.spry.com to trace the network route over your connection to chico.spry.com

- Send me a PM with the results of the tracert

Junior Member Newbie

1) First time trying to conect from this machine

2) This the error message:

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
    Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
    Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

3) after 3 steps, the tracert is saying the request timed out,,, it is still going though, upto 30 and counting