Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Bad First Impression

Junior Member Newbie

Default Very Bad First Impression

My first impression with Spry's hosting leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

I signed-up for VPS service. Spry was very efficient in charging my credit card. I quickly received an order confirmation which stated that my account information would be sent within 24 hours "once your account is setup at Spry." That was over 60 hours ago, and I still do not have access to my account.

I submitted a support ticket to which I received the following:
    It looks like there was an issue with our provisioning system. I have
    escalated this matter and will get it resolved as soon as possible. My
    apologies for the inconvenience.
    This response was received over 24 hours ago - still nothing!

In the hope that someone from Spry's staff actually read these forums, I also posted a topic - no response.

At this point, I am seriously questioning the wisdom of hosting with Spry. This is among the worst customer service to which I've ever been subjected.

Junior Member Newbie

Purchasing this VPS was to be the first of several server moves involving at least one more VPS and 2 dedicated servers.

Glad I didn't try to move them all at once, clearly Spry doesn't want my business.

ALWAYS ON???

Junior Member Newbie

In fairness, I should report that my VPS has FINALLY been setup.

But, in the interest of full disclosure, it took 2 requests from me to setup the server (that I had already paid for) and it only took 65 hours for what was promised to be a 24 hour turn-around time. However, even after 65 hours, when my VPS was allegedly setup, I still had not received my account information, and thus could still not access the server. It took yet a third request (and another 2 hours) before someone saw fit to send my account info.

I can understand, and accept the "glitch" (as it was described). But the tech support was negligent at best, and is unacceptable.

Senior Member Power Poster

WineSaverPRO -

You have our apologies for the delays and inconvenience - I have reviewed the history or your contact with support, and I can appreciate your concerns about response time.

As this past weekend was a holiday weekend for the majority of our team, we had only minimal staff on hand to correct the issue which was identified in the setup of your VPS account - the technician who returned your initial inquiry had begun investigating the issue prior to replying. (Unfortunately, he was forced to escalate the ticket and wait until a systems administrator was available to correct the issue)

As you inquired in your other thread and as we stated through our ticketing system, we do offer full refund of service charges if you cancel within your first 30 days - we hope that you will take the opportunity to make good use of our VPS hosting service and (though, hopefully, it will not be needed) 24/7 technical support to decide whether you will stay with us.

I have moved this thread to the Suggestions/Comments section of our forums in the interest of correct classification.

Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for your reply Dan, it is somewhat refreshing that a forum staff member did take some interest.

I fully understand about the holiday. However, if you are going to be in a 24 / 7 business, you must deal with the issues of staffing during inopportune times of the year. In this case, the customer paid the price - hence the very bad first impression. I tend to be a very loyal customer, I prefer to deal with one provider and to do so on a long-term basis. But, first impressions are lasting ones.

Frankly, the fact that a system administrator resolved my issue is of further concern. Your provisioning system failed, I can accept that. However, it would seem that no one was aware of the failure until I submitted my support ticket. Also, logically by extension, if the provisioning system failed, then it failed to send my account information. Yet, when your system administrator resolved the issues with configuring my VPS and responded to my ticket, no account information was sent. It was not until I replied again to the support ticket (incurring additional delays) that my account information was manually sent. This is what I consider to be negligent support. When a system fails, due diligence dictates that all steps that should have been taken by the failed system are verified, not just the obvious ones.

Yes I did receive a reply to my ticket regarding your money-back guarantee, thanks to Tim for that.

Again, thanks for your interest. I will consider your comments in my decision regarding the disposition of my account.

Junior Member Newbie

What's the chance I can get someone to handle trouble ticket #384764?

This is the second support ticket in a row I've opened that has gone over 12 hours without a response.

I have to say, this is reinforcing that initial bad impression I got of your company.

Ticket #384764 is presently with a technician - the issue is being investigated. Our technician is confirming whether or not the issue is account-specific or related to a recent WHM/cPanel update to ensure the issue does not resurface in the future.

You will have a response within 24 hours of initial ticket submission. (In the meantime, you should be able to access your mail via an external POP mail client).

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@Spry View Post
    (In the meantime, you should be able to access your mail via an external POP mail client).
    Thanks, I am aware of that. However, we do have reps who do not access their emails via external POP client.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@Spry View Post
    You will have a response within 24 hours of initial ticket submission.
    Dan, this matter has been resolved.

However, elsewhere on your trouble ticket system, your site indicates that for the most non-urgent matters, a reply is expected in "under 12 hours". So, when 14 hours have gone by with no response, it does seem like the ticket is being ignored.

If this matter had been in the hands of a technician, then it would have been extremely helpful to the customer to know this. A simple status update on the ticket indicating this would have averted the need to post here.

It's all about customer service. With no status updates on the ticket, I was left to believe that I was continuing the get the stellar service I received when I signed up for this server.

Interestingly, on the previous ticket, after some 15+ hours I gave up and called your tech support - the matter was resolved within 10 minutes.

As a suggestion - if you expect to keep your customers, I would advise doing a better job at communicating with them. Leaving the customer to wonder whether his issue is being handled makes the customer wonder if he should look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by WineSaverPRO View Post
    ... your site indicates that for the most non-urgent matters, a reply is expected in "under 12 hours". So, when 14 hours have gone by with no response, it does seem like the ticket is being ignored.

If this matter had been in the hands of a technician, then it would have been extremely helpful to the customer to know this. A simple status update on the ticket indicating this would have averted the need to post here.
    The general line of thought which has guided replies in the past has been that it is preferable to reply when the issue is resolved, however we've grown from the time the twelve hour resolution policy was practical for every issue which we receive.

Given the choice of updating our stated policy or changing our present practices, we are opting to meet expectations by sending out a preliminary ticket status message to state that we have received the report and are looking into the issue.

I have spoken with our support department manager about this concern and found that it was something he plans to address this week.