Thread: How to unpack .tar.gz in plesk

Junior Member Newbie

Default How to unpack .tar.gz in plesk

Dear all Users

With file manager of Cpanel it's so easy to unpack/extract diffrent type of compressed files such as .tar.gz

I tried to figure out how we can do the same in Plesk,but it seems that plesk does not gives us this function if I'm wrong please let me know how we can do that?

(of course we can use command line in shell access but I'm looking for other way)

Best regards

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Hello,

You are correct in that cPanel is superior to Plesk (in this and a few other regards.)

Plesk does not provide any web interface capable of unpacking/extracting compressed files.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle@Spry View Post
    ...cPanel is superior to Plesk (in this and a few other regards.)
    You should also note that cPanel is more memory intensive, and that it abates the proper usage of RPM installation packages, and rebuilds everything from source.

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PossumX View Post
    You should also note that cPanel is more memory intensive
    I beg to differ, we've found that a fresh install of Plesk 8.* uses more memory prior to configuring any sites/domains than a fresh cPanel install. Whether or not that holds true after adding sites is up for debate.
    and that it abates the proper usage of RPM installation packages
    How so? cPanel actually uses yum (or up2date if running RHEL) to keep system packages up to date. You can even use your own yum repositories. Plesk actually installs non-standard (customized by SWsoft) RPM's which cannot easily be upgraded without using another customized RPM.
    and rebuilds everything from source.
    I have never in all my years working with cPanel see it run gcc/cc in any case other than using Software Update/Apache Update, or when installing a perl module which requires compilation.