Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some upgrade advice

Junior Member Newbie

Default Need some upgrade advice

It's been a few years since I've upgraded a mysql server...

My buddy rick has hosting here at spry, one of the VPS servers.

It curently has a lower version of MYSQL, and PHP.

I need to upgrade both to later versions.
    Reason for this is to migrate the PHPBB to vBulletin 3.6.8

I did some forum searches here and found a few things that were helpful... course all the good threads had their html links removed.. wtf...?

Does anyone have some more recent articles / how-to's that apply to SPRY servers to upgrade MYSQL to 5 and php to a newer version.... and anything else that probably needs to be done on this 4 year old server...

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron
    Last edited by reddog64; 01-28-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Senior Member Power Poster

You will need to consult your control panel's documentation to get the best information - depending upon which control panel your friend is using, the installation process will vary.

Links to pertinent documentation for each control panel we offer:

WHM / cPanel Documentation

Plesk Documentation

Webmin Documentation

Junior Member Newbie

Dan,

That was little to no help...

For 60 bucks a month, (and a 4 year long customer) i'd expect a little more than that...

Would you be so kind as to provide some more information, so I can provide a more helpful answer?

1) Which control panel are you using?

2) Which version of your control panel are you using?

Junior Member Newbie

Dan,

I loaded webmin as i am much more familiar with it then the one he gave me.

he had me going to a website that he logged into with his hotmail acct and password. It's saved at home so i cant post it right now...

But it was something along the lines of his username at spry

Alright - if you could PM me his e-mail address, I will go ahead and bring up our file for the account and pop back in on this thread with instructions.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@Spry View Post
    Alright - if you could PM his e-mail address, I will go ahead and bring up our file for the account and pop back in on this thread with instructions.
    PM Sent,

Thanks Dan

I was able to pull up the account information - it appears as though you are using one of our legacy products (which explains why there was some initial confusion on my part regarding your control panel).

I would recommend that you run cat /etc/redhat-release or cat /etc/issue to check the operating system which is running on the box - I believe it will be apparent that this VPS is in need of an upgrade.

In this case, swapping up to our latest VPS products will be your friend's best option. There is - quite literally - no reason your friend would not want to upgrade to a newer VPS product. - Edit: I double-checked with our system administrators - switching to our newer products would require backing up the present configuration and initiating new service (with a new IP), however, the savings over attempting to upgrade and maintain a much older operating system should offset any difficulty or inconvenience this may pose.

Please direct him to review our VPS Hosting page - he will find that all of our comparable new plans offer greater resource allocation, recent operating system versions, and lower prices.

Your friend can log in to his support account to contact Spry Billing for assistance with the upgrade and plan swap.
    Last edited by DanL@Spry; 01-29-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Junior Member Newbie

Thank you Dan,

I will call him tonight and talk to him, as he is not a technical guy at all.

I appreciate your assistance.

-Aaron

Edit to my prior post: I double-checked with our system administrators - switching to our newer products would require backing up the present configuration and initiating new service (with a new IP), however, the savings over attempting to upgrade and maintain a much older operating system should offset any difficulty or inconvenience this may pose.

It sounds as though you will be handling the technical side of things - I think you'll agree that it makes more sense to migrate up from the legacy product and take care of all the necessary OS / component updates at once.