Thread: user space issues?

Junior Member Newbie

Default user space issues?

before i do any upgrade to MySQL i need to solve an issue that the current board seems to have...

Every few days it dumps... Gives a error code 122 - cant write... something's full...
    I can go in and delete a few files, and it fixes it...

is MySQL like ms sql.. where if you do a backup, it deletes the transaction logs... compresses the db, cleans it up etc... and starts the logs over?

Someone suggested i increase the user's profile size.... googleing and not finding much...

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reddog64 View Post
    before i do any upgrade to MySQL i need to solve an issue that the current board seems to have...

Every few days it dumps... Gives a error code 122 - cant write... something's full...
    Could we have the exact error message? What "board" software are you using? Without knowing what software is generating the "error code 122" we cannot look up the documentation on what that error code means.

I can go in and delete a few files, and it fixes it...
    You have 3.2GB of disk space available at the moment. Is the disk full when you go in to "delete a few files" or are there specific files that you delete?

is MySQL like ms sql.. where if you do a backup, it deletes the transaction logs... compresses the db, cleans it up etc... and starts the logs over?
    No (granted, I'm not an MSSQL user), backing up a database in MySQL normally only involves a "dump" of the current data to an SQL file. It really depends on how you are doing MySQL backups though. Most use phpMyAdmin to export their tables/databases, or by using the mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy scripts from MySQL AB, none of which modify the current databases or restarts logs etc.

Someone suggested i increase the user's profile size.... googleing and not finding much...
    "user's profile size"? Which user are they referring to?

Junior Member Newbie

Hey Lyle,

I'll have to wait for the board to do it again...

After talking to Dan today I think were going to move to a new server here at spry. It seems it's more work to update the 4 year old virtual host than it is worth.

I'll take a screen shot of teh error when i see it again so you haev it for reference.

I'd delete any junk file i could find. Old db backups etc.
    It acted as though the users alloted space, not the system space, was full...
    Like the root user was only allowed so much space to play with, and when it was full it would stop.

Junior Member Newbie

So i've determined this issue is the way the original databases and hosting was setup.

we've determined (with dan's help from here) that it's gonna be easier to just move our hosting to an updatable server 9that isnt 4 years old)

- closed