Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade Apache/PHP, install GD...

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tamlyn
    It recompiled php OK but apache is still v1.3.33 and not v1.3.34. There were a couple of errors in the build:<snip>
    just using default options for apache (ticked GD for php but php compiled fine). I tried building again with 'verbose' on but that time it didn't give any error messages (although it still doesn't appear to have upgraded apache). What's going on!
    cPanel will revert to last known good options if there are any errors during the build. That's probably why no errors appeared the second time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by tamlyn
    If I ignore the whm thing and just compile apache from the command line will that confuse cpanel on the next upgrade?
    Just be sure to compile with same (or similar) options. cPanel won't be confused (unless you change where the config file is, install location...), but easyapache/Apache Update may behave weird if you try to use it after doing a compile without it once.

Junior Member Newbie

Got that problem when i try to upgrade apache at a fedora system , anyone give me a hand ?

Checking Update System........Your operating system's rpm update method (yum) was not able to locate the glibc package. This is an indication of an improper setup. You must correct this error before you can proceed.
    Please correct the conflicts and try again!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMargetts
    Checking Update System........Your operating system's rpm update method (yum) was not able to locate the glibc package. This is an indication of an improper setup. You must correct this error before you can proceed.
    Please correct the conflicts and try again!
    Hmmm, I've seen this on RHES where up2date was selected as the update method and didn't work, but never yum (in fact the fix on RHES was to disable up2date and use yum instead.)

Does yum work properly from the command line? If you have modified the yum repositories, set them back to the defaults. Here's a copy of a known working fedora /etc/yum.conf
    Code:
    [main]
    exclude=apache* courier* exim* httpd* mod_ssl* mysql* perl* php* proftpd* pure-ftpd* spamassassin* squirrelmail*
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    retries=20

[base]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
    baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

[updates-released]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
    baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

#[updates-testing]
    #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
    #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/

#[development]
    #name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
    #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle@Spry
    Hmmm, I've seen this on RHES where up2date was selected as the update method and didn't work, but never yum (in fact the fix on RHES was to disable up2date and use yum instead.)

Does yum work properly from the command line? If you have modified the yum repositories, set them back to the defaults. Here's a copy of a known working fedora /etc/yum.conf
    Code:
    [main]
    exclude=apache* courier* exim* httpd* mod_ssl* mysql* perl* php* proftpd* pure-ftpd* spamassassin* squirrelmail*
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    pkgpolicy=newest
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    retries=20

[base]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
    baseurl=h*tp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

[updates-released]
    name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
    baseurl=h*tp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

#[updates-testing]
    #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
    #baseurl=h*tp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/

#[development]
    #name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
    #baseurl=h*tp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
    your .conf wokred like a charm , i didn't had any modifications on the yum configuration but there was lines missing ... thanks again

(added * on the urls because vbulletin whouldnt allow me to post links )

Junior Member Newbie

Stupid question - isn't the latest version of Apache 2.2.?. How do I upgrade to this via the UI? Or can I do this via SSH?

Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoOnRails
    Stupid question - isn't the latest version of Apache 2.2.?. How do I upgrade to this via the UI? Or can I do this via SSH?
    Yes, it is. I'm not aware of a way to upgrade via the UI? Cpanel has a page at http://www.cpanel.net/support/docs/easyapache.htm that talks about setting build variables. Once you have done this you'll need to run /scripts/easyapache from the command line. Keep in mind that I haven't tried this, so can't guarantee it's success.

Junior Member Newbie

Alright, I'll check out cPanel for more info... So everyone is running old versions of Apache?

Paul
    Last edited by GonzoOnRails; 03-25-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Junior Member Newbie

when i try to run apache upgrade, i get these warnings:

Easy::Apache v3.2.0 Build 4436

!! Critical Warning (VZ): You are only only allowed to use 259 Megabytes of ram! 512 Megabytes is recommended. !!
    !! Warning (VZ): You are only only guaranteed 239 Megabytes of ram! 512 Megabytes is recommended. !!
    !! Warning (VZ): You are only only guaranteed 29 Megabytes of ram when the system is out of ram! 512 Megabytes is recommended. !!

is this because i need to upgrade to a higher-memory plan, or is the problem possibly somewhere else?

thanks,

Hello,

This warning message indicates that Easy::Apache is only able to verify 259 Megabytes of memory is currently available for use. Other processes/daemons running in your VPS are using enough memory to trigger this warning.

Upgrading to a higher-memory plan (something that includes 253 more Megabytes of memory, 512 - 259 = 253) would eliminate this warning message (assuming your memory usage is constant), as would shutting down other services/daemons (even temporarily, like for the duration of the Apache Upgrade process) to free up 253MB of memory.