Thread: /etc/resolv.conf and custom bind name servers

Junior Member Newbie

Default /etc/resolv.conf and custom bind name servers

I'm still not understanding how the resolve.conf file interacts with creating my own name servers or using a third-party DNS. Currently my default resolv.conf has two lines which are reset after shutdown -r:

nameserver 66.249.3.10
    nameserver 69.28.244.51

Are these IPs the Spry DNS "parent" servers that own the IP addresses I have assigned to my Webmin VPS account?

So this question boils down to:
    Do I need to use the https://www.spry.com/support/myaccount/ form for each IP if I'm running my own DNS on my Webmin VPS or using a third-party DNS?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by SpryDisasterCandidate; 01-01-2006 at 09:03 PM.

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpryDisasterCandidate
    nameserver 66.249.3.10
    nameserver 69.28.244.51

Are these IPs the Spry DNS "parent" servers that own the IP addresses I have assigned to my Webmin VPS account?
    No, those are your servers IP addresses. /etc/resolv.conf specifies what nameservers should be used for local dns resolution. As in, when you are SSH'ed to the server and request the IP address for say 'example.com'. Your local DNS server will answer the request first.

So this question boils down to:
    Do I need to use the https://www.spry.com/support/myaccount/ form for each IP if I'm running my own DNS on my Webmin VPS or using a third-party DNS?
    The MyAccount area only helps in setting up reverse DNS entries. This is because Spry is still listed as the owners of those IP addresses, and reverse dns requests come to our dns server. If you want to set up forward DNS serving from your VPS, you must still register your servers IPs as private nameservers, and then update the nameservers for any domain using your DNS to use the names you register.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    And also to you! Happy New Year everyone!