Thread: Fedora 7 to 8 update/upgrade

Junior Member Newbie

Question Fedora 7 to 8 update/upgrade

Has anybody done the update/upgrade from 7 to 8? I found a "how to" here fedoratutorials.com/2007/11/10/werewolf-fedora-8-upgrade-in-3-easy-steps/ and was wondering about any issues that anybody has had here.

Sorry, had to hack up the url so the forum would allow me to post it

Senior Member Power Poster

If you are running cPanel and you have not disabled WHM/cPanel's automatic updates, the software on your VPS should already be up-to-date.

Running a distribution upgrade within a VPS is not recommended, as some services and configuration settings specific to your virtualization platform may be overwritten during the distribution upgrade process.

Providing that you are hosted on a virtual private server, we are presently offering CentOS 5 with cPanel and Plesk. Switching to CentOS would require a complete reinstallation of your VPS - this would also be required if you were to upgrade to Fedora 8, but that is not possible as Spry offers only CentOS Linux at this time.

Junior Member Newbie

Whoops, I forgot to mention that this is on a dedicated server that is running with Spry, not my VPS account.

I just noticed that Fedora has release an alpha release of version 9, so I figured that updating to 8 might be a good idea.

In that case it would definitely be a good idea to proceed with the update (be certain you have everything backed up first).

In addition to the tutorial which you referenced, you may also want to review the Fedora 8 Documentation for full instructions and notes on what to expect while upgrading.

Junior Member Newbie

Any reason why Spry isn't offering the updated versions of Fedora? This dedicated server was just setup on Monday & the newest version of Fedora offered in the list was 7.

Our dedicated server operating systems are available separately of our VPS operating systems. (As mentioned earlier, VPS operating systems require attention from our template developers to ensure that they will work correctly in a virtual environment)

Upon request, our system administrators can wipe your installation for a fresh install of any publicly-available Linux distribution you would like on your dedicated server.