Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Page generation time?

Junior Member Newbie

results:
    Greetings Ed,

I must apologize that we did not get back to you concerning this issue.
    The information you provided was VERY useful in determining why MySQL
    on your CPanel200 was taking longer than on your shared account.
    Comparing the values for certain variables, I identified several key
    ones which when modified resulted in query times which were very close.

These variables were:
    join_buffer_size
    myisam_sort_buffer_size
    query_cache_size
    read_rnd_buffer_size
    table_cache
    thread_cache_size
    thread_stack

I modified the /etc/my.cnf file with higher values for these variables
    and ran the test. The times came out to be
    http://66.249.10.181/forums/index.php => 0.52448 s (right after a
    restart of mysql)
    http://66.249.10.181/forums/index.php => 0.04725 s (immediate repeat
    of query)
    http://forums.krazyletter.com/index.php => 0.06306 s

Before the modifications to my.cnf, queries were not being queued,
    therefore each time the test was run, it was accessing the database and
    redoing all the joins. Once a query cache was added, rerunning the
    tests pulled the information from the cache instead of rerunning all of
    the joins. I believe that this is the biggest difference initially with
    the tests.

I hope this addresses your concern about the server's performance.

JD Dindot
    Spry Support
    If anyone else wants the solution, they can refer to this, and me and my ticket number #96922

Limer

Hi I am having the same problem when I moved my site ..It seems to lag a LOT more than my previous host just a week ago.
    My account:www(dot)trini(dot)us I emailed support but they just say everything seem fine. but the speed difference is CLEAR. I feel frustrated with my VPS performance. What should I do? I know something is wrong.

Also I have an issue concerning my awstats.I had someone look at the sever sproblems and they thoght it might be the apache logs. so they stopped it.They know something is wrong too but I am not going to keep paying him until he finds something I need to get them going again. Since thats not the problem... How do I do what spry support wrote below?:
    Code:
    Spry support wrote:
    I found the CustomLog entry in the VirtualHost definition for trini.us
    is commented out. AWstats relies on this log file to gather statistics
    information. Please uncomment the CustomLog directive and restart
    apache to fix this.
    Please be specific.
    Thanks for your time, Limer

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lappy512
    results:

If anyone else wants the solution, they can refer to this, and me and my ticket number #96922
    May I ask the values you have now in your my.cnf for these?

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Limer
    What should I do? I know something is wrong.
    Both Apache and MySQL have many options available for tuning performance. One easy suggestion is to increase the MaxClients variable in your apache httpd.conf file. Don't raise it too much, as it may use up all available memory and stop other services from running, so only bump it up in small increments. MySQL tuning has been mentioned in this thread previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limer
    Also I have an issue concerning my awstats.I had someone look at the sever sproblems and they thoght it might be the apache logs. so they stopped it.They know something is wrong too but I am not going to keep paying him until he finds something I need to get them going again. Since thats not the problem... How do I do what spry support wrote below?:
    Code:
    Spry support wrote:
    I found the CustomLog entry in the VirtualHost definition for trini.us
    is commented out. AWstats relies on this log file to gather statistics
    information. Please uncomment the CustomLog directive and restart
    apache to fix this.
    Please be specific.
    Edit the file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf. As this is a system file owned by the root user, you'll have to either a) SSH to your server as the root user and edit with one of the text editors already installed, like vi or b) Download the file using SFTP (again, as the root user), edit the file with Notepad or some other text editor, and reupload the file. After either option, restart Apache to have the changes take effect.

Junior Member Newbie

I too have been having exactly the same issue in transferring from a shared environment with CPanel200 3 to 4 times as long to run MySQL page queries. Some of this has been rectified (by Andrew), and had to do with actual resource allocation.

However, while better, things are still slower.

I'm quite a newbie - so be gentle. I'm interested in trying Lyle's suggestion: increase the MaxClients variable in your apache httpd.conf file. How do you do this -- is this change done through the CP somehow. The SQL analysis and tweaking by JD Dindot would be great -- but I quite sure it's a bit out of my league. Was there a charge for this? Should a ticket be submitted.

I just want page performance to be at least in the ballpark of the shared host.

Thanks much!

Former Employee Power Poster

CEC,

Some of the above tweaks for MySQL are automatically being included in CPanel accounts. If you want to make additional changes, you would need to SSH into your system and edit the /etc/my.cnf file. The same would be true for your httpd.conf file to alter the MaxClient settings. As with the my.cnf, the MaxClients value is set at a reasonable value for the resources of a CPanel 200.

Besides the my.cnf values, one of the biggest impacts on performance is the use of indexes. If you are doing queries on columns which are not indexes, the query take longer than using columns which are indexed. However, it is not a good idea to index all of the columns as it will cause greater resource usage and potential problems.

Each client's database is different, so it will take some tweaking of the mysql and apache configurations to find what works best for you.

Junior Member Newbie

Thanks,

Again, I'm really not sure how to do that (I realize this typically exceeds support) ... more importantly, I'm not sure why all things being equal (default for 1&1 shared hosting and Spry VPS) there would be the difference.

Also, I'm not sure how this relates, but processes such as updating category paths are slower than molasses in January -- again, comparatively speaking.

Am I expecting too much from Spry VPS?
    Last edited by CEC; 12-31-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Former Employee Power Poster

The problem is that not all things are equal with a VPS and a shared account. MySQL for a shared system, assuming it is on the same server as the webserver, will have access to a greater quantity of resources than MySQL within a VPS. This will allow MySQL to be configured with say a GB of memory for various buffers and caches, which is not possible within a VPS.

The advantage of a VPS is that you have root access within your account to allow you to configure your system as you wish and not be restricted by the setting of the shared server. However, because of this, often times a VPS server will be put under greater stress and load than would a shared server.

Although a VPS system gives you root access within your account and allocated resources, just like with a shared system, it's performance is affected by other accounts on the system as well as processes we run such as backups. The only way to avoid such issues is to go with a dedicated server, but that has it's own issues of administration and cost.

Your best bet is to decide what features are important to you and what you can deal with, then try to do some optimzation.

Junior Member Newbie

Lappy

we have been complaining to Spry tech support about slow web page speeds for months.

Recently we set up a copy of our website on ProVPS to see if the slow page speeds we were experiencing were due to our code as Spry repeatedly advised or with Spry's service.

In tests this morning we found that our web pages on the Spry VPS took 22 seconds on average to download. In the same tests at the same time we found that our web pages on a ProVps 384 server took 9 seconds on average to download. This is a 60% performance improvement on a server that is lower spec on paper than our Spry plan.

As a result we have decided to cancel our hosting service with Spry and move our site to ProVPS.

So all you need to do to improve your web page speed 60% overnight is move to a better web hosting service.
    Last edited by Murray; 10-24-2007 at 03:00 AM.

Junior Member Newbie

Murray, don't know if you're a spammer or not, but I took your advice and moved my slowest site to ProVPS. Here's my experience:

THE GOOD
    Load times were 40-50% faster than on Spry. This is really surprising since they use Xen, which I thought was supposed to be slower than Virtuozzo.

Bottom line: Spry, the problem isn't in our minds. You're servers are painfully slow. There's a bottleneck somewhere.

THE BAD
    While they will usually answer the phone for tech support right away, I never heard back the same day when submitting a ticket. Why were they too busy to answer my ticket, but not to busy to answer the phone? Spry is typically faster.

THE UGLY
    I conducted a Spam Database Lookup on DNS Stuff and discovered that my IP address had been used by the domain make-money-info.info to send spam. What's more, 95 other IP addresses in the same network had also recently sent spam in the last 7 days. This means that any IP address in this range will get flagged by spam filters that reference those services.

Their response was "Finding ip space these days thats never had any spam activity on them is going to be difficult." Never? What about the last 7 days? They just didn't get it. Not only did they not check to see if my IP address was clean before issuing it, but it's obvious that they allow spammers on their servers. Therefore, even if they issued me a clean IP address, it would have been blocked soon or later because of my spammy neighbors. Since I send e-newsletters, I couldn't afford this. I've never had this problem with Spry.

Finally, after trying two more hosts, I finally found one that offers a fast connection with a clean IP address. I won't mention them here out of respect to Spry. Unfortunately, now I'm paying for two servers because I already prepaid Spry for a year. However, I absolutely had to switch my site because this one is so slow. I really hope Spry speeds things up before my cycle is over because I still think they do a better job than my most recent host, and I'd prefer to move my site back here rather than move all my other sites over there.