Thread: Horrible First Impression

Junior Member Newbie

Default Horrible First Impression

Hey everyone,

I signed up for a Spry shared hosting package (5.95/mo) last night, and I'm already running into issues with Spry.

I received an e-mail about an hour ago stating this:

Thank you for your order at Spry!

Due to discrepancies in the information you provided, our fraud
    prevention system has flagged this order. In order to complete the
    processing and prevent the voiding of your order, you will need to
    either fax or email images of your credit card (front and back) and
    government-issued photo identification. For your security, you may black
    out all but the last 4 digits of the credit card number and your
    driver's license number. Our fax number is XXX.XXX.XXXX. Once we have
    verified your information, we will destroy/delete the images and will
    process the order. Orders will be voided and funds returned if we do not
    receive the requested information within 48 hours.

Have a good day.

Spry Support
    Outstanding, well I don't feel comfortable e-mailing / faxing that information for 6 dollars worth of hosting I can get somewhere else. Which is fine, and I don't hold this against Spry, they seem to think I'm committing fraud (though I'm not), and they're just trying to run a business here, no harm no foul.

I was upset when I checked my bank, and noticed they had already charged my card for services they have not rendered. However I do understand how 99% of billing systems work, the account charge is automatic, but the actual hosting package is hand created, so I'm sure they just automatiically charged me before they decided my account was fraudulent. If my card is refunded this will not become an issue, but I have a feeling it's not going to be, which is why I'm making this post.

I've submitted a ticket and fired off an e-mail both saying something along these lines:

I do not feel comfortable sending you said information, please void my order and refund my money. Thank you.
    I'm sure they don't work on the weekends, since normally the internet takes the weekend off, and that's fine, I'll wait.

If you're wondering why my thread is titled "Horrible First Impression", it's the fact that I was marked for fraud when my account has all valid information. The only thing that isn't there is my phone number which doesn't exist at the moment.

If anyone from Spry reads this, I'd appreciate a refund so we can end this on a good note. Nothing held against your company, just obviously not the host for me, or anyone without a phone number.

My info:

<Removed by Admin>

I will post here with updates on this situation, and hopefully it can be resolved peacefully.
    Last edited by DanL@Spry; 09-08-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Removed personal information

Senior Member Power Poster

Rook -

I am sorry for any difficulty or inconvenience our screening process may have posed.

Your card has been refunded, as requested.

As noted, our billing department works Monday through Friday.

We would love to do business with you in the future, however, for obvious reasons, we cannot accept orders with information which is inaccurate - we hope you will consider us when a valid phone number becomes available.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@Spry View Post
    Rook -

I am sorry for any difficulty or inconvenience our screening process may have posed.

Your card has been refunded, as requested.

As noted, our billing department works Monday through Friday.

We would love to do business with you in the future, however, for obvious reasons, we cannot accept orders with information which is inaccurate - we hope you will consider us when a valid phone number becomes available.
    As DanL@Spry said my payment has been refunded in full, very happy there was no issue, and appreciate the fast response. Obviously this isn't the host for me, but they did this without any extra hassle on my part, and I tip my hat to that.

Apology isn't necessary, your company has it's rules to abide by, as does mine, but as I said before, I greatly appreciate the fast response to my issue. No harm, no foul.

Best wishes, Rook.