Thread: Redirecting your domain to a URL

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Default Redirecting your domain to a URL

Spry's domain registration product does not include redirection. In fact, it does not include DNS hosting or web hosting of any kind. You must aquire DNS and/or Web Hosting elsewhere (our Shared Hosting product for instance.)

If you buy a domain anexample.com and want to redirect it to for example http://www.anotherexample.com/my/hosted/site you must purchase web hosting as well.

Junior Member Newbie

Why wasn't this clear when purchasing a domain name? I already have web space. What are my options now to use my name WITHOUT purchasing another hosting service?

Senior Member Power Poster

When you use a registrar's redirection service, the registrar's server returns a 302 - Moved Temporarily HTTP response code.

Search engines like Google and Yahoo interpret this code literally - resulting in a multiple instances of your domains (i.e. example.com, example2.com, example3.com) in their ranking indices.

The effect of using a domain registrar's redirection service is negative - because there are multiple instances of your domain's content in the index, no one instance receives the ranking which should be assigned to it.

This is a very well-documented behavior - I suggest that you consider the following discussions of redirect behavior as it concerns search engines before you consider using a domain registrar's redirection service:

Last edited by DanL@Spry; 11-07-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Update