Thread: Server Slow

Junior Member Newbie

Default Server Slow

My server is so slow that it can take up to 3 minutes to load a page. I did a ping test on it and the average was 823 ms! FTP is slow as a snail too. When I say slow, I mean slow. It could take up to 2 minutes for it to connect while it used to take only 4 seconds at the most. Nothing is wrong on the client side. I am sure of this. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Limer

I just pinged my site and I got this:

Ping 66.249.28.187 [66.249.28.187] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.28.187: bytes=32 time=797ms
    Reply from 66.249.28.187: bytes=32 time=531ms
    Reply from 66.249.28.187: bytes=32 time=500ms
    Reply from 66.249.28.187: bytes=32 time=297ms
    Reply from 66.249.28.187: bytes=32 time=203ms
    Reply from 66.249.28.187: bytes=32 time=234ms

Ping statistics for 66.249.28.187:
    Packets: Sent = 6,Received = 6, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 203ms, Maximum = 797ms, Average = 427ms

Couls someone explain these stats to me? I assume they are bad... Due to my slow server.

Thanks , Limer

Junior Member Newbie

Cool Still slow?

They are still having slow servers? I have since went somewhere else and am very happy. I am not saying you should leave, but be aware that this is not a new problem

Limer

Default leaving

I am in the proccess of transfering as we speak... ans how long before anyone acknowledge this?

Spry was a BIG mistake for me . I am loosing members and visitors as we speak.

Limer

Limer

Ok I am gone from spry.com

My new server ping stats (blazing)

Ping trini.us [64.20.46.179] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.20.46.179: bytes=32 time=0ms
    Reply from 64.20.46.179: bytes=32 time=31ms
    Reply from 64.20.46.179: bytes=32 time=32ms
    Reply from 64.20.46.179: bytes=32 time=31ms

Ping statistics for 64.20.46.179:
    Packets: Sent = 6,Received = 6, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 16ms

Spry get your stuff together for the record I will never recommend you services or lack of.

Bye

Former Employee Power Poster

We have been aware of the slowness that people have been experiencing when attempting to access their accounts. We actively monitor the load and performance of our servers and are notified once they have reached a threshold value. At that point, we attempt to identify the cause of the performance issue and take corrective action. We have actively been working on several servers recently that have been experiencing high load, which is the main cause of performance issues.

This load can come from 4 main sources: clients' installing and running programs which overutilize resources (CPU, RAM, Disk I/O), an large influx of traffic to multiple accounts on the server resulting in simultaneous requests for resources, denial of service attacks against accounts, and maintenance programs used by our administrators, mainly the backup process.

We are constantly working to correct the high load situation caused by the above 4 items, however there are times when we are unable to take corrective action. Such an instance is the impact of server backups on performance. There is a trade off between trying to provide the performance expected of the server and reducing the impact of destroyed or missing data.

As a VPS is still a shared resource product, other clients on a server will impact the performance of your account. We work to bring the problematic accounts back under control so that their impact on other accounts are reduced. This can involve a degradation in the performance of those accounts. This is one of the few instances that we will take an active role in modifying configuration files and restarting/terminating processes within a VPS. The other is if an account has been compromised or is being DOSed.

One performance issue which is outside of our control is connectivity between your computer and the server. Although ping time can indicate potential problems with either server responsiveness or connectivity path issues, the best method of identifying the cause of the long ping times is via a traceroute (tracert on window servers). Traceroutes show the path that your request takes to get to your server as well as the length of time it takes to get a response from the node in the path.

Most people assume that high values for the ping time indicates that there is a problem with the server. This may be the case. However, ping really only provides you with 1 solid piece of information...whether there is connectivity to your server. All of the other information provided, dropped packets and reponse time, can be used to infer whether there is a connectivity issue.

Traceroute on the other hand provides the route which your requests to the server are travelling, if there are any dropped requests, and the response time. Because you are able to obtain the information from every point in the path, you can identify if dropped packets or long response times are due to the server (last entry in the route) or by one of the nodes in the route.

When experiencing performance or connectivity issues, the first tool you should use is traceroute as it will help in isolating the problem, for both you and support.

Junior Member Newbie

I have noticed that at times my server can be rather slow even getting QOS memory failures when resource usage is way below 50%. But right now in like the last 24hours, everything is going rather fast and responsive. Is this a freak occurance or is Spry working on the servers?

On another note, if it is at true VPS in that processor time, memory and other resources are divided, how would other users on the same server impact my account at all?

Cheers.

Junior Member Newbie

if you host forums on your site, check to see if you have bots crawling your site. I had a Plainum VPS through Spry for several years and it was suddenly so slow I could not even reach my CP and pages would time out. I complained and upgraded to Spry's dedicated server. Through researching my new server setup, I found my problem was widespread on many hosting companies and the google bots that were always on my main site, were the cause. They follow every thread and every link and can bring the most healthy server to its knees. Ive banned thier ip's on my new server and never had any issues since