Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPM Repository for RedHat Enterprise Linux

Junior Member Newbie

Default RPM repository credentials

How do I log-in to the RPM repository?

I tried to log-in anonymously, but it didn't work.

Ted@spry

Currently, this repository is down. We are working on building a new repository. We will post in this forum when it is complete.

Thanks

Junior Member Newbie

Is there a timetable for this? I sure would like to get the libpng update, among others. Thanks!

Junior Member Newbie

Any update on this timetable for the repository being built?

This is a major frustration for me. I have toyed with going the YUM route, but would prefer not to.

SPRY has, honestly, been the best hosting service I have ever used (for near 10 years, and 75+ domains), and this little tidbit is a real pain. If up2date was available this wouldn't be an issue. Makes me regret not going with Fedora Core 4 for my VPS plan (I only wish I could switch OS's without losing everything).
    Last edited by PossumX; 10-07-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Junior Member Newbie

...and again. To the above question. I am going to be trying the PHP5 install, and will likely need to update dependencies, and the RPM repository would be invaluable here.

Junior Member Newbie

Considering the dependencies with a Plesk VPS on RHEL4, and the fact that I cannot get a YUM version greater than 2.0.x to install (due to phython(abi) > 2.3 needed), this is a real problem. PHP 4.x is being completely desupported this year, and the upgrade to the 5.x generation is needed now to be able and still maintain a supportable platform. The same really holds true for MySQL as well, being on the 4.1.20 version on RHEL4 VPS.

I really don't know what my options here are, as I have spent a large number of hours attempting to get this stuff done, but the PSA dependencies are killing me.

The only response I have received on this query was when I asked in conjunction with a support ticket question, and I was told within the next month. The question is, will those of us on a Plesk VPS w/RHEL4 be able to actually use the repo directory (via YUM) and have the dependency maps accounted for?

Junior Member Newbie

I've gotten around the YUM issues now, and have YUM 2.4.3 installed, using CentOS4 repositories from AtomicRocketTurtle & CentOS directly. All dependencies for a MySQL 5.0.42 have now been accounted for and I know the resolution path to get PHP 5.2.3 installed, via the same repos as above. CentOS, being that is built from src.rpm's from RedHat is as "safe" as it gets from the O/S perspective. The final dependency I have for PHP 5.2.3 is "php-common 5.2.3", which I will defer until I do the PHP upgrade.

It is amazing the amount of effort that is involved with upgrading anything with the Plesk Control Panel (lesson learned), as the dependencies run deep and the SWSoft vendor is little help unless you want to shell out $$.

All in all, as I have stated, SPRY is a great host, this darn Plesk based hosting solution is a proverbial nightmare when it comes to getting off of an unsupported version of a core piece of software (PHP in this case). The devil is in the detail, and with some focus and time (and luck) I'll have my VPS upgraded to MySQL 5.0.42 shortly, with the PHP upgrade following soon after.
    Last edited by PossumX; 11-11-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Junior Member Newbie

DONE. No longer need any repos to be provided by SPRY (albeit, it would be ideal to have base and update repo capability from here). PHP & MySQL have been upgraded, and after much pain, all is good now. Note for anyone with a customized my.cnf file. Make sure innodb is not skipped (skip innodb), else, Plesk will not work. Took me 2+ hours to find that little nugget, and a nearly exploded head.

Junior Member Newbie

Now it's been over 2 months since I was told by SPRY that it would be a month until the RHEL RPM Repo was up again (Ticket #356764).

What's up with all this?

The hosting is great, but the answers from support never seem to hold up when asked about the Repo, or the fact that PHP 4.x is now EOL, and still being offered as part of the VPS and Dedicated hosting solutions....

Junior Member Newbie

Hello,

well I think this is the weak part of have a VPS on redhat, I was thinking if is possible to migrate to a fedora or centos since they have public repositories, is that possible?
    www.misucursalvirtual.com - Los expertos en Mambo en Espaņol