Thread: Change IMAP Idle Time

Junior Member Newbie

Default Change IMAP Idle Time

Email runs though the spry VPS I use IMAP/SMTP and have several email addresses I access though Outlook 2007. I get an error saying the IMAP server closed the connection, from my inital research it appears to be caused by a setting for the IMAP Idle Time. Where do I set this, is there something in WHM, or do I have to use SSH and if so what command? I want to resolve this error because since I am accessing 10 email addresses, I can get several of these errors in a row and it's annoying.

EDIT: I found something else that suggests: the server closes the IMAP connection after receiving the NOOP
    command from Outlook.

which would to me make more sense as I don't leave the connection idle, I send and receive every minute.er receiving a NOOP command?

So lets change the question to is it possible, and if so how, to get the IMAP server to keep the connection alive even aft
    Last edited by RCB I.T. Solutions; 12-26-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Senior Member Power Poster

The issue appears to be related to Outlook's implementation (or lack thereof) for NOOP. From the messages in this e-mail thread
    Re: OUTLOOK 2K+ your imap server closed the connection error message
    , you may want to investigate your Outlook settings.

Junior Member Newbie

Hmm odd, I read someone was able to resolve the problem my disabling send/receive and switching to an IMAP server that pushes new messages to the client.

Not sure how to do that though when poking around in WHM, I had an idea, I switched from Courier to Dovecot, apparently Outlook plays better with Dovecot as my IMAP server. THough I would still ike to eventually move from a pull to a push email setup at least all is good now.
    Last edited by RCB I.T. Solutions; 12-30-2008 at 11:36 PM.