Thread: Email stuck in queue?

Junior Member Newbie

Default Email stuck in queue?

I just came from a reseller account and it's my first time getting a VPS, quite unsure on what to do.

Anyway I seemed to have got the basic set up all done, I'm getting my mails all right, but anything I send through the SMTP server through Thunderbird seems to go into the exim mail queue and not get sent out. I have tried to send them manually by clicking on "attempt to deliver all messages in queue", but even then they seem to remain in the queue, and I have yet to receive them in the destination email account.

How do I go about solving this?

Default Mail

Hello Christian,

I am going to have you try some trouble shooting for me that can help us figure what is going on with the E-mail you are trying to send.

I would like for you to shell into your account and run the following command as root

sendmail q v

When you run the command you should get an output of every message in the queue such as : root@server.timshank.net R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (-52): Retry time not yet reached
    delivering 1Daulu-0007dI-Lu (queue run pid 12642)

post your out put you get back here in the forum. It will normally contain data that can help us better trouble shoot your issue.
    Youseph
    Spry Support Member

Homepage
    http://www.spry.com

Tutorials
    http://www.spry.com/support/tutorials/

Junior Member Newbie

Okay, here it the output:

LOG: queue_run MAIN
    Start queue run: pid=20930
    delivering 1Db4Aq-0001Kb-H2 (queue run pid 20930)
    Connecting to gsmtp171-2.google.com [64.233.171.114]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    LOG: MAIN
    gsmtp171-2.google.com [64.233.171.114]: Connection refused
    Connecting to gsmtp171.google.com [64.233.171.27]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    gsmtp171.google.com [64.233.171.27]: Connection refused
    == darkwoof@gmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (111): Connection refused
    delivering 1Db49q-0008DS-0w (queue run pid 20930)
    LOG: retry_defer MAIN
    == darkwoof@gmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
    End queue run: pid=20930
    root@server [~]# sendmail -q -v
    Start queue run: pid=3068
    delivering 1DbG6i-0003ZS-Am (queue run pid 306
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.190.230]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.190.230]: Connection refused
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.190.179]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.190.179]: Connection refused
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.253.230]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.253.230]: Connection refused
    Connecting to mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.167.230]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.167.230]: Connection refused
    Connecting to mx1.hotmail.com [65.54.166.99]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    mx1.hotmail.com [65.54.166.99]: Connection refused
    == cybernut83@hotmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (111): Connection refused
    delivering 1Db4Aq-0001Kb-H2 (queue run pid 306
    == darkwoof@gmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
    delivering 1Db49q-0008DS-0w (queue run pid 306
    End queue run: pid=3068

Junior Member Newbie

Okay, I tried the command a few more times, now they all show:

Start queue run: pid=10850
    delivering 1Db49q-0008DS-0w (queue run pid 10850)
    delivering 1Db4Aq-0001Kb-H2 (queue run pid 10850)
    delivering 1DbG6i-0003ZS-Am (queue run pid 10850)
    == cybernut83@hotmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
    End queue run: pid=10850

Junior Member Newbie

Okay, I *kinda* got it working by disabling the SMTP Tweak... does this in anyway leaves the server vulnerable?

Junior Member Newbie

Hi Christian, same thing worked for me this morning.

I have been having SMTP troubles for months. Each time the que gets stuck, and plugged with messages, I call spry and they do something with the firewall settings and iptables to get it running again. But something must happen to reset things. Maybe it is this SMTP tweak?

Did you find out any more on how we may be vulnerable without the tweak in place?

Bob

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christian
    does this in anyway leaves the server vulnerable?
    The way I understand the SMTP Tweak setting in WHM... it disallows anyone who is not running as 'root', 'mail', or 'exim' from connecting to other smtp servers on port 25. It does nothing against incoming connections from outside of the server.

So the only vulnerability turning the SMTP Tweak off will leave you with, is the possibility that one of your hosting customers sends email from a script, bypassing your local smtp server, and just sending directly to any open smtp server it can find or be configured for. (i.e. they could connect to their own smtp server somewhere else, like at an ISP, or do mx lookups and connect directly to their target's mail server.)