Thread: Server Speed (SLOW?????)

Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Server Speed (SLOW?????)

Hello, I have been faced with a slow server ever since my purchase. PLesk and VPP are extremely slow from my connection at home and at school. Spry.com's connection is fast and the server it self downloads rather fast but for some reason when its in http mode its really slow. My email is mgmafo@u.washington.edu (my account) I have a vps200. Thank you for your time

Junior Member Newbie

Same problem for me :/
    Extremely slow sometimes (1/2 of the time) and poor performance.
    I'm on VPS200 too.

Junior Member Newbie

Desesperately slow.....

Limer

Default Same here

Same Here See my thread below ... Me and my visitors ate very frustrated.

http://forums.spry.com/showthread.php?t=323

Limer

Former Employee Power Poster

We have been aware of the slowness that people have been experiencing when attempting to access their accounts. We actively monitor the load and performance of our servers and are notified once they have reached a threshold value. At that point, we attempt to identify the cause of the performance issue and take corrective action. We have actively been working on several servers recently that have been experiencing high load, which is the main cause of performance issues.

This load can come from 4 main sources: clients' installing and running programs which overutilize resources (CPU, RAM, Disk I/O), an large influx of traffic to multiple accounts on the server resulting in simultaneous requests for resources, denial of service attacks against accounts, and maintenance programs used by our administrators, mainly the backup process.

We are constantly working to correct the high load situation caused by the above 4 items, however there are times when we are unable to take corrective action. Such an instance is the impact of server backups on performance. There is a trade off between trying to provide the performance expected of the server and reducing the impact of destroyed or missing data.

As a VPS is still a shared resource product, other clients on a server will impact the performance of your account. We work to bring the problematic accounts back under control so that their impact on other accounts are reduced. This can involve a degradation in the performance of those accounts. This is one of the few instances that we will take an active role in modifying configuration files and restarting/terminating processes within a VPS. The other is if an account has been compromised or is being DOSed.

One performance issue which is outside of our control is connectivity between your computer and the server. Although ping time can indicate potential problems with either server responsiveness or connectivity path issues, the best method of identifying the cause of the long ping times is via a traceroute (tracert on window servers). Traceroutes show the path that your request takes to get to your server as well as the length of time it takes to get a response from the node in the path.

Most people assume that high values for the ping time indicates that there is a problem with the server. This may be the case. However, ping really only provides you with 1 solid piece of information...whether there is connectivity to your server. All of the other information provided, dropped packets and reponse time, can be used to infer whether there is a connectivity issue.

Traceroute on the other hand provides the route which your requests to the server are travelling, if there are any dropped requests, and the response time. Because you are able to obtain the information from every point in the path, you can identify if dropped packets or long response times are due to the server (last entry in the route) or by one of the nodes in the route.

When experiencing performance or connectivity issues, the first tool you should use is traceroute as it will help in isolating the problem, for both you and support.

Junior Member Newbie

Riccu and Mr Teck

we have been complaining to Spry tech support about slow web page speeds for months.

Recently we set up a copy of our website on ProVPS to see if the slow page speeds we were experiencing were due to our code as Spry repeatedly advised or with Spry's service.

In tests this morning we found that our web pages on the Spry VPS took 22 seconds on average to download. In the same tests at the same time we found that our web pages on a ProVps 384 server took 9 seconds on average to download. This is a 60% performance improvement on a server that is lower spec on paper than our Spry plan.

As a result we have decided to cancel our hosting service with Spry and move our site to ProVPS.

So all you need to do to improve your web page speed 60% overnight is move to a better web hosting service.

MikeG@Spry

Please do not resurrect old threads with spam.

Junior Member Newbie

It's not Spam - I'm a real customer with a real answer to a real problem that many of your customers are desperate to solve like I was.

If you dont want comments from angry customers then pick up your game and FIX your service.

Junior Member Newbie

Murray, don't know if you're a spammer or not, but I took your advice and moved my slowest site to ProVPS. Here's my experience:

THE GOOD
    Load times were 40-50% faster than on Spry. This is really surprising since they use Xen, which I thought was supposed to be slower than Virtuozzo.

Bottom line: Spry, the problem isn't in our minds. You're servers are painfully slow. There's a bottleneck somewhere.

THE BAD
    While they will usually answer the phone for tech support right away, I never heard back the same day when submitting a ticket. Why were they too busy to answer my ticket, but not to busy to answer the phone? Spry is typically faster.

THE UGLY
    I conducted a Spam Database Lookup on DNS Stuff and discovered that my IP address had been used by the domain make-money-info.info to send spam. What's more, 95 other IP addresses in the same network had also recently sent spam in the last 7 days. This means that any IP address in this range will get flagged by spam filters that reference those services.

Their response was "Finding ip space these days thats never had any spam activity on them is going to be difficult." Never? What about the last 7 days? They just didn't get it. Not only did they not check to see if my IP address was clean before issuing it, but it's obvious that they allow spammers on their servers. Therefore, even if they issued me a clean IP address, it would have been blocked soon or later because of my spammy neighbors. Since I send e-newsletters, I couldn't afford this. I've never had this problem with Spry.

Finally, after trying two more hosts, I finally found one that offers a fast connection with a clean IP address. I won't mention them here out of respect to Spry. Unfortunately, now I'm paying for two servers because I already prepaid Spry for a year. However, I absolutely had to switch my site because this one is so slow. I really hope Spry speeds things up before my cycle is over because I still think they do a better job than my most recent host, and I'd prefer to move my site back here rather than move all my other sites over there.
    Last edited by johnh; 12-15-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Senior Member Power Poster

I appreciate your consideration, johnh. In the future, would you please opt to create a new thread to post your thoughts? (You are welcome to reference older posts with links as you like)

I do not see any reason that we could not investigate the performance issue which you mentioned - I only found one ticket under your forum contact e-mail in our system (it was not performance related).

Would you please PM me your domain name and any past ticket numbers so we can look into this matter further?

Thank you,

- Dan L.

Note: I am closing this thread, however, anyone who would like to reference the thread may do so with the following bbCode:

[url=http://forums.spry.com/showthread.php?t=322]Server Speed (SLOW?????)[/url]