Thread: FTP Server Question

Member Newbie

Default FTP Server Question

I've had issues intermittently with FTPing large files up to my server. By large, I mean several hundred MB, or larger.

I never worried about it because I've only needed to do it a few times over the couple years I've been with Spry, but now I have a reseller client that routinely uploads files of that size.

So, the problem is that we get about 350MB in and it dies with a socket write error. Always at the same point.

I guess my question would have to be, is there a limitation on the default FTP server on the cPanel/WHM servers? Should I use something else? Or, is there a config file that I need to tweak?

TIA

Member Newbie

Quick Update. Turns out that end users are having trouble connecting using IE, not an actual FTP program. Is there a setting that is preventing IE/Windows Explorer from connecting to the server via FTP?

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt@fotan.net View Post
    Quick Update. Turns out that end users are having trouble connecting using IE, not an actual FTP program.
    Even for transfer of small files, IE is nowhere near ideal.
    Is there a setting that is preventing IE/Windows Explorer from connecting to the server via FTP?
    If there is such a setting, it would be buried in the users Windows Registry or hidden in the source (for IE.)

Especially for large files, use a true FTP client. There are several available online for free and do a much better job than IE.

Member Newbie

Sorry about that Lyle. I think I confused you. Two different questions.

1. The large file upload is happening using an FTP client. Specifically, Transmit on a Mac.

2. The problems connecting at all are in IE on Windows.

Sorry about that Lyle. I think I confused you. Two different questions.
    Ah, sorry about that.
    1. The large file upload is happening using an FTP client. Specifically, Transmit on a Mac.
    Hmmm, I use Transmit all the time, so I can vouch for this program. It also supports SFTP connections, if you have enabled SFTP (comes with "shell access" if you enabled that for their account) do the disconnections cease? Do they also have problems uploading large files to other systems?
    2. The problems connecting at all are in IE on Windows.
    Oh, so they aren't able to connect (to the control panel? their web site?) with IE? How about other web browser software? Other sites?

One thing I would recommend checking is the route their ISP takes to connect them to your server. (run 'traceroute <serverip>' in Terminal) If any latency occurs along this route, packets may be dropped, disconnecting them.

Member Newbie

Not sure about using SFTP, but the server I'm migrating them off of never had an issue with big uploads. That's what's so irritating to me. My server is sooooooo much better than their old server, but I'm having a million little problems.

The IE connection issue is simply connecting to a folder under their domain using ftp.bbgmarketing.com as the address. Again, it always worked, apparently, on their old server, but doesn't work so easily now. I think, in the short term, I can get around that. I'm more concerned with the upload right now.

Thanks Lyle.

Senior Member Does this guy work here?

Hello,

Asides from a laggy connection or the keep alive option turned off, I can't think of anything else that would cause a connection drop. Please check the two and see if either are the problem.

--
    Spry

Member Newbie

Still having the same problem with the connection being dropped at about 350MB uploaded. Where is the Keep Alive option that Patric talks about? Is that in WHM, or something in the FTP client? I looked through the FTP config in WHM and didn't see it.

Thanks in advance, again. The guy that's having the problem is a total screamer and whiner.

Where is the Keep Alive option that Patric talks about? Is that in WHM, or something in the FTP client?
    Keep Alive is a feature of advanced FTP clients, not a server feature. Consult the documentation of the FTP client they are using.

Junior Member Newbie

Default For anyone else having an issue with this...

I would frequently lose my connection using Transmit on a Midphase.com server while uploading a 25mb file. Not that big, but every time it gets to around 12-14 megabytes uploaded, the server would disconnect me and say "socket write error".

I've enabled "Keep connections alive during long transfers" and used the recommended passive mode for that server so I wasn't sure if it was a problem with the FTP client.

Sure enough, after downloading the latest version of CyberDuck (3.4.1), and entering in all of the server credentials, I was able to upload a large file with no problems whatsoever.

I'm beginning to suspect that Transmit (3.7) has a bug where I does not honor the "Keep Alive" option or maybe it uses different means of caching the file.....I don't know. All I know is that the free FTP client - CyberDuck - does its job and seems to work faster than Panic's overhyped piece of junk.