Thread: Pre-Sales Shared Plan 2 PHP Modules Question

Junior Member Newbie

Arrow Pre-Sales Shared Plan 2 PHP Modules Question

I was referred to Spry from PHP.net. I'm considering the Shared Hosting Plan #3 and would like more details on PHP 5 usage. It is my understanding that CPanel is included, which can be used to opt into PHP v5. I've also seen from various threads on this forum that people are recompiling PHP to include XSLT and CURL modules (I need these).

1. Is recompiling PHP with additional modules allowed in Plan 3?

Also a few other questions:
    2. CPanel is discussed on the forums, but not mentioned on the shared hosting page. Is it included?
    3. Are these machines backed up?
    4. It says 10 domains included, can sub-domains be added (e.g., sub.domain.com)? Unlimited?
    5. Can I accomplish all of this with Plan #2 instead of Plan #3? (yes, i'm cheap).

Thanks for your help!

- Lon

Lon,

Thank you for your interest in Spry Hosting. I have attempted to answer your questions below:

Quote Originally Posted by lonb
    1. Is recompiling PHP with additional modules allowed in Plan 3?
    Recompiling any pre-installed software requires root access, which is offered on cPanel VPS plans, but not shared hosting plans.

2. CPanel is discussed on the forums, but not mentioned on the shared hosting page. Is it included?
    Spry shared hosting plans include access to the cPanel web-based control panel.

3. Are these machines backed up?
    Each of Spry's shared hosting servers is backed up nightly.

4. It says 10 domains included, can sub-domains be added (e.g., sub.domain.com)? Unlimited?
    The "10 domains" limitation is actually implemented by cPanel by limiting the number of VirtualHost entries to 10. So, www2.dom.com and www3.dom.com would count as 2 VirtualHosts.

5. Can I accomplish all of this with Plan #2 instead of Plan #3? (yes, i'm cheap).
    Plan 2 has fewer VirtualHosts and storage capacity than plan 3. Your access to PHP is the same on both plans.

It sounds like what you are really after is a cPanel / WHM VPS plan, with full root access and customization. The cPanel VPS plans also allow you to host an unlimited number of domains.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.