Thread: Recommended backup?

Junior Member Newbie

Default Recommended backup?

Can anyone recommend a backup solution that will allow the ability to backup to an offsite location, ie ftp server.

Preferably configurable under Webmin, but this is not a requirement. The only requirements would be to automate the backup and be able to perform a FULL backup; incremental would be nice, but again, not a requirement.

Thank you,

Sean

Junior Member Newbie

I am fully aware of what module's are available for Webmin, I was hoping for someone who has experience with backups to pass on a little bit of knowledge.

Former Employee Power Poster

There are multiple ways of addressing your backup issue. You can use programs such as amanda or bacula for your backup needs; however, these may be more than you need.

Another option would be to simply use rsync to backup your account remotely. This requires you have another system that can run rsync, i.e. unix, at the remote location. The advantage of rsync is it will only update those files which have changed between the two systems, i.e. synchronize the files at the two locations. This can save on time and bandwidth, however you would not have the full/incremental type functionality of a backup system, such as with amanda or bacula.

The third option is to create a tarball of your directories and then download it to the remote system. This method will use up space temporarily on your server while the tarball is present, therefore you will need to have >50% of your space free. The advantage of this method is each tarball can be dated and you can get a progression of changes, depending on how long you keep them at the remote location. The disadvantages is that it will use up a significant amount of space.

If you must have incremental backups, then I would suggest bacula. If you simply need to keep an up to date version of your site, then rsync would be the way to go. If you want to keep a snapshots of your site, then the tarball method would work.

No matter what method you use, it is best if you backup only those directories which need to be backed up, i.e. website directory and mysql directory. Although you may be tempted to backup programs you installed, this can be both a good and bad option. If the program has not been modified and can simply be reinstalled, than not backing it up will save you space and bandwidth. No matter what though, you should backup the configuration files for those programs.