Thread: "sender verify failed" in exim_rejectlog

Default "sender verify failed" in exim_rejectlog

This issue was brought to my attention due to the confirmation emails from an oscommerce installation I was working on not getting through to me even though my client was receiving his. I checked the exim_rejectlog and found several entries like this:
    2006-05-11 13:18:13 H=(qmail-cgi-norm-0.netfirms.com) [64.34.64.55] sender verify fail for <anonymous@cgi6.cgi6>: unrouteable mail domain "cgi6.cgi6"
    2006-05-11 13:18:13 H=(qmail-cgi-norm-0.netfirms.com) [64.34.64.55] F=<anonymous@cgi6.cgi6> rejected RCPT <tam@zenology.co.uk>: Sender verify failed
    After examining the message headers it turned out that explicitly setting the 'Return-Path' header to a real email address made it work. However I have since noticed other entries such as this which look like they could be legitimate mail being turned away:
    2006-05-11 16:07:41 H=(relay.spry.com) [66.249.22.34] sender verify defer for <root@mb.at.spry.com>: host lookup did not complete
    2006-05-11 16:07:41 H=(relay.spry.com) [66.249.22.34] F=<root@mb.at.spry.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <tam@zenology.co.uk>: Could not complete sender verify
    Could this be the forum reply-notification emails? I'm subscribed to a bunch of topics but I've never received an email from the spry forum - something I've been meaning to point out to you for a while.

So my question is what is this sender verification and should I be worried about these mails getting turned away?
    "They think they've tricked you. And then they have."

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tamlyn
    I have since noticed other entries such as this which look like they could be legitimate mail being turned away:

2006-05-11 16:07:41 H=(relay.spry.com) [66.249.22.34] sender verify defer for <root@mb.at.spry.com>: host lookup did not complete
    2006-05-11 16:07:41 H=(relay.spry.com) [66.249.22.34] F=<root@mb.at.spry.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <tam@zenology.co.uk>: Could not complete sender verify

Could this be the forum reply-notification emails? I'm subscribed to a bunch of topics but I've never received an email from the spry forum - something I've been meaning to point out to you for a while.
    Hmmm, No. The forums send mail from forums.at.spry.com with a From address of hostingsupport@spry.com. I'm not sure what would be sending to you from root@mb.at.spry.com. I'll see what that system is, and update this post.

So my question is what is this sender verification and should I be worried about these mails getting turned away?
    In general sender verification is a great way to stop spam. In exim, when a message is received and sender verification is enabled, it will try to verify the return address is valid. So if you set up a web application and tell it to send email as webapp@myserver.com, but mail sent to that address bounces as undeliverable, it won't deliver any of the messages that web application tries to send. This helps if hackers try to send a bunch of messages from your server with forged From addresses. It also tries to keep messages from outside of your server from being delivered if the return address is fake. I'm thinking that's what is happening with the root@mb.at.spry.com, it probably should be something more like billing@spry.com which is a known good address.

Update
    mb.at.spry.com is our ModernBill installation. A while back an administrator used this system to send out maintenance notifications, and did not ensure the From address was set to hostingsupport@spry.com. This would explain the messages from root@mb.at.spry.com.
    Last edited by Lyle@Spry; 05-12-2006 at 05:04 PM.

I'm subscribed to a bunch of topics but I've never received an email from the spry forum
    That's rubbish - I've been receiving topic reply notifications since april. Doh!

OK thanks for the reassurance and let me know if you find out what those mysterious spry emails are.
    "They think they've tricked you. And then they have."