Thread: Bit Confused About DNS ...

Junior Member Newbie

Question Bit Confused About DNS ...

Hi,

I've just ordered a webmin200 account, but I already own the domain I want to use for the VPS ... yokudo.org

I've been reading the up on the site and forum, and it seems you're pushed towards having to set up BIND9, run your own nameservers and then point the domain to them (correct me if I'm wrong).

But surely I can just change the ip the domain points to in the DNS setup of the current name servers (in this case 123-reg) !?

Also, a little off topic but do the VPS's offer FTP access as default, or will I need to install say ProFTP !?

Oh, and another, is PHP installed by default !? And if so, is it easy to remove !?

Final one, I promise ... On the first email got it gave me a random username and the password I picked during sign-up, but it doesn't tell me what it's for ... as in the second email, it details the root account, which is the one I expected. So my question is, what app's the first username/password combo for !?

Thanks

Mic
    Last edited by yokudo; 06-09-2006 at 07:28 AM.

Former Employee Power Poster

We push toward using your own nameservers on your local system for 2 main reasons. The first is that the other offered control panels have it integrated into the control panel functionality. The second is that it provides you total control of the DNS for a domain.

However, you do not have to setup local name servers for Webmin or use the ones built into the other control panels. If you have DNS setup somewhere else and can maintain it there, then there is no reason for you to have to register and configure new ones. If you don't have DNS setup already or do not wish to maintain your own, we can place your domains in one of our name servers, but you will then need to contact us for every change you want done.

Both ProFTP and PHP are installed by default on your account. If you wish to remove them, you can do so using the rpm command. Use 'rpm -qa|grep php' to locate all rpms with php in the name. Once you get the list that you need, you run the 'rpm -e' command with the name to remove it.

Our ordering system requires a username be set for each product. If one is not provided, it will randomly generate one. Because of the nature of the VPS, this username is never used and therefore can be ignored as the username you login with is always 'root'.

Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Initial Issues Now ...

Hi Spry-Jd,

Thanks for the response, quick and detailed !

I'm now having some issues with the initial setup though ... I've just posted this support ticket ...

Hi,

I purchased my VPS yesterday and it seems it may have been mis-configured.

Firstly, when I try to access the Webmin interface on port 10000 as described in welcome email, I just get the following error ...

'Unable to connect - Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 66.249.18.191:10000.'

And then when I log into Virtuozzo, across the top of the page I get the error ...

'Application Error - The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration.

Contact your Hosting Provider

Please report this problem to the technical support.'

And the side bar seems to have very few options.

Could you please look into this and get back to me.
    Any ideas !?

Thanks

Mic

-Official Yokudo Blog, http://yokudo.blogpsot.com

Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Still not resolved ...

Although the guys very quickly sorted the webmin issue, I've heard nothing now for well over 24hrs on the Virtuozzo problem.

Does anyone have any ideas !?

-Mic

Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Support not responding ...

I'm still having a huge issue with the Virtuozzo control panel, I've contacted support twice now via email and a support ticket and have had no reply, and the live chat never seems to be available.

This is really disheartening since the rest of the service, and the server itself have so far been great.

-Mic