Thread: Slow QMail Fix with Plesk

Junior Member Newbie

Default Slow QMail Fix with Plesk

Upon having some issues with users connecting to SMTP, I found this little tip which speeds up the response time on Qmail for SMTP requests. It made the mobile devices (such as Treos) able to connect and send mail much faster then before. I believe it simply turns off Reverse DNS on connecting computers. Here's the info: (taken from http://tyrannical.org/page-14)

Is sending email (SMTP) on your Plesk server slow?

Written by Jason Hamilton, Jul 15th, 2004

I have several Plesk servers, and the ones that are used for email work great for downloading email (pop3). However, sending email is another story. It seems like the server would wait a full minute before the email sends.

To fix this, we just need to edit /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa file.

It will look like this:
    service smtp
    {
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    disable = no
    user = root
    instances = UNLIMITED
    server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
    server_args = /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
    }
    What you are going to do is, add "-Rt0" to "server_args". It will then look like this:
    server_args = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
    Save the file, and restart xinetd by issuing this command:

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

This has worked on Plesk6 and Plesk7 for me. Hope it helps you too.

I know I'm resurecting an old dead post but I would like to say thanks. This worked out perfectly for me. That lag was driving me nuts.

Does anybody have a list of various plesk tweeks like this. I know I found one somewhere on how to open second and third smtp ports to get around isp port 25 blocks.