Thread: PhpMyAdmin access denied

Member Newbie

Default PhpMyAdmin access denied

When I click on PhpMyAdmin in WHM, I get:

Wrong username/password. Access denied.

Any idea why? Do I need to set up a special username/password just for it?

Juanita

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

If clicking on phpMyAdmin in WHM results in a "wrong username/password" error, the mysql root user password (vs. the system root user password) is incorrect or unreadable in the file /root/.my.cnf

This can happen if you change the mysql root user password manually (i.e. via the mysql command line client) or have deleted/modified the password stored in /root/.my.cnf.

To fix, try updating the mysql root user password via WHM at Main >> SQL Services >> MySQL Root Password

If this does not resolve the problem, other options are available, but require command line access. Our support team can assist if needed.

Member Newbie

Thanks, Lyle!

It did not look like there WAS a password set, and I found nothing in my.cnf that looked like a password. Is there more than one? Is it the one in /etc? I did not find one in root. I was going to ask why those main directories seem to hide, but I see that root logon puts one IN the root subdir! I don't know if I will *use* PhpMyAdmin, but in my travels trying to install Wordpress, some said it was easier to use . . . I don't know. Of course, when I created the database for Wordpress I had to create a user password for THAT--surely that does not control mysql?

Should it not be the same as the system root user password?

But, at least, thanks to your help I at least can GET there!

Juanita

Quote Originally Posted by jjjm View Post
    It did not look like there WAS a password set, and I found nothing in my.cnf that looked like a password. Is there more than one? Is it the one in /etc?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle@Spry View Post
    ...the file /root/.my.cnf...
    ...stored in /root/.my.cnf
    I did not find one in root.
    Then the file is either deleted (which would cause this problem, as mentioned) or you are not viewing hidden files. (Files that begin with a dot '.' are considered "hidden" and only shown by /bin/ls if the "-a" option is used. Most configuration files in user home directories are named this way, hence the term "dotfiles", like dotfiles.com)
    I was going to ask why those main directories seem to hide, but I see that root logon puts one IN the root subdir!
    /root is the root users home directory. (see echo $HOME while logged in as root)
    I don't know if I will *use* PhpMyAdmin, but in my travels trying to install Wordpress, some said it was easier to use . . . I don't know.
    Using cPanel - WordPress Codex
    Please use the documentation published on wordpress.org. If you create the database via phpMyAdmin in WHM, the database will not be associated with the cPanel account you have created in your WHM for that domain. And henceforth, you will have to manage it via WHM. The database will NOT show up in the cPanel control panel for this site. If this is for one of your hosting customers, they will be upset and confused by this lack of database shown in their control panel.
    Of course, when I created the database for Wordpress I had to create a user password for THAT--surely that does not control mysql?
    MySQL users/accounts are separate from cPanel users/accounts, just as email accounts are separate from system accounts/cPanel accounts, ftp users, etc.
    MySQL 5.0 Reference Manual :: 5 MySQL Server Administration :: 5.5 MySQL User Account Management

Should it not be the same as the system root user password?
    WHM documentation >> MySQL Root Password
    Quote Originally Posted by WHM documentation
    You should ensure that a very secure password is used, because if this password were to be compromised, the attacker would have access to any database associated with your server. You will not need to remember this password unless you plan on logging into any of your databases as the root user.
    The same advice goes for your system root password. Anyone with knowledge of this password has complete control over the system. Guard it carefully, and make it strong enough to never be guessed.

But, at least, thanks to your help I at least can GET there!

Juanita

Member Newbie

Hey, THANKS for all the great references! And, the mini refresher . . . I've not done anything at all with this stuff for quite some time. Oooops--missed the leading dot!

Yes, now I see it, and all it has is the user name "root" and logon password. I DID have a diceware generated 18 character passphrase, but Spry had some problem and reset it and I've not changed it since. Now that you've refreshed my memory, I guess I can do it by editing root/.my.cnf, yes? But, that's rather scary for me . . . I'm afraid I'll get myself locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle@Spry View Post
    MySQL users/accounts are separate from cPanel users/accounts, just as email accounts are separate from system accounts/cPanel accounts, ftp users, etc.
    MySQL 5.0 Reference Manual :: 5 MySQL Server Administration :: 5.5 MySQL User Account Management
    You have to admit, tho, this issue is a bit muddy, seeing as how when generating the mysql database for wordpress, it automatically sticks the cpanel user's logon name in front of the name *I* chose!

I have looked over many many docs in the last two days, and it's really hard to FIND just the tidbit of info that I need. Everything else I don't need at the moment, tho . . . not to mention that much of it is so technically worded that us non-professionals can't follow too well,anyway.

Anyway, I DO thank you, Lyle!!

Juanita

I guess I can do it by editing root/.my.cnf, yes? But, that's rather scary for me . . . I'm afraid I'll get myself locked out.
    Feel free to open a ticket with our support staff. They'll be able to verify the password is correct before updating the file, and update the MySQL root password if necessary.

You have to admit, tho, this issue is a bit muddy, seeing as how when generating the mysql database for wordpress, it automatically sticks the cpanel user's logon name in front of the name *I* chose!
    That's how cPanel differentiates which cPanel user owns the database and any mysql users created. It may be a bit confusing at first, but does make management of multiple users (who may also have multiple databases and mysql users) easier for a system administrator to maintain.