Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VPS Concerns

Junior Member Newbie

Default VPS Concerns

I'm looking at getting the first VPS package, but I wanted to make sure I'm allowed to run a small game server on it. I know it can handle the server size I want, but I wanted to make sure it's allowed before I purchased.

Senior Member Power Poster

Yes - you are welcome to use a Spry VPS plan to host a game server, however, you will need to keep tabs on the software's use of resources - if your game server consistently requires 100% CPU utilization it may be considered resource abuse to run the game server.

If you have not already done so, please see our Acceptable Use Policy for full details on activities prohibited on our service.

Junior Member Newbie

Alright, perfect. It's just a small game server, so I can't see it using much CPU or RAM. Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you have a test one up by any chance? I'd just like to see how I find to it, and how it runs a game server.

We do not provide trials or temporary access to live virtual private servers, however, I can assure you that we will always honor our 30-Day Money Back Guarantee:

If for any reason you are not satisfied with your service at Spry, contact us within 30 days of your signup date to receive a full refund.
    Thirty days should be adequate time to determine whether our service is right for your purposes - if you change your mind for any reason you won't be out any money at all (... though we're confident that you'll like what you find).

Junior Member Newbie

Well I went to order, but there's no Fedora Core under OS. Do you not offer Fedora Core? I'm only familiar with Fedora Core, so I'd like to stick with that if I can.

We are presently offering CentOS and Debian at Spry - given that both Fedora and CentOS are based on RHEL and the yum package management system, you would very likely find CentOS to be a suitable alternative to Fedora unless your intended deployment has dependencies specific to Fedora.

I should mention that we do offer Fedora through our VPSLink.com brand (if you were planning to use the 4096 or 8192-level plans, however, it should be noted that we do not offer dedicated resource virtual servers at VPSLink).

Junior Member Newbie

Well I'm just planning on running a small game server, but if CentOS is very similar to Fedora Core, I'm sure I could figure it out.

Junior Member Newbie

Purchased my VPS, got the server up and running. Only question I have is how do I access the raw files? I need to add a boot up config for the game server, and I'm not sure how to access my files. So far everything seems great though, so thanks!

Senior Member Does this guy work here?

Hello,

Most people do it via ssh or scp. If you want to create something that will start the game server on start up, you'll probably have to make a start up script (if one isn't provided for you.). Here's a fairly general init script tutorial.
    Example LINUX init Script*|*spiralbound.net
    It should have everything you need to know about hand-making an startup script.

--
    Spry Support

Junior Member Newbie

I'm gonna try SSH using Poderosa. Only other problem is I just noticed if I exit off my control panel/console, server shuts down? Why doesn't it stay running? I log back into console and it's a blank screen.