Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VPS Concerns

Senior Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rustydusty1717 View Post
    I'm gonna try SSH using Poderosa. Only other problem is I just noticed if I exit off my control panel/console, server shuts down? Why doesn't it stay running? I log back into console and it's a blank screen.
    Your VPS should definitely not be shutting itself down when you close an SSH connection - how are you connecting to the VPS when this behavior is observed?

Edit: I might also add that I would highly recommend that you submit a support ticket to get the fastest possible reply day or night (our support department is in operation 24/7 and support tickets are guaranteed to be reviewed whereas the same cannot be said for forum posts).

Junior Member Newbie

I'm connecting through console, through my control panel.

Senior Member Does this guy work here?

Hello,

Your vps shouldn't shut down on control panel console disconnect (unless it was asked for). Send in a support ticket. Let me take a look at it.

--
    Spry Support

Junior Member Newbie

Still doing it, and it does it through Poderosa as well. Game server stays running as I leave Poderosa running, but as soon as I close it, game server shuts down again. Anyone have a clue why it isn't staying open after I exit SSH?

Ah, I see - your game server is shutting down, not your VPS.

You need to fork the game server process from your SSH session. Most server applications include an /etc/init.d/ script to accomplish this, however, you can use the NOHUP (no-hangup) command as well.

Junior Member Newbie

My command line is: ./hlds_run -game cstrike +map de_dust2 +maxplayers 24 +sys_ticrate 500 -pingboost 2 -autoupdate.

Would I just add -nohup or +nohup to it?

Sorry, not the greatest on Linux. I've done just the basic's.

Ah, good old Counter-Strike

The command would look like this:

NOHUP ./hlds_run -game cstrike +map de_dust2 +maxplayers 24 +sys_ticrate 500 -pingboost 2 -autoupdate &

... and the Running HLDS In Background thread at the Steam User Forums has further suggestions which may also be of interest.

Junior Member Newbie

-bash: NOHUP: command not

Gonna try some of the ones in the link your provided.

Junior Member Newbie

screen -A -m -d -S cs ./hlds_run -game cstrike the rest of ur commands

itll run in backgroudn and when u logou before u close the ssh connection its still up...

to view it do screen -r cs

to detatch again do ctrl a then ctrl d

That worked perfectly! Got FTP working as well, and have the server running now. One final question. How can I figure out what type of CPU and RAM resources I'm using? I'd like to keep an eye on it to see how it's running, and if it can handle another small server. Thanks for all the help so far. I will recommend every to Spry.
    Last edited by rustydusty1717; 09-04-2009 at 11:30 PM.

How can I figure out what type of CPU and RAM resources I'm using? I'd like to keep an eye on it to see how it's running, and if it can handle another small server.
    Here are a few commands for starters:

• top -S - View processes by memory usage (Shift+M) and CPU time (Shift+P for current CPU%, Shift+T for total time) aggregated with child processes (q to exit)
    • free -m - View total RAM used/available
    • ps faux - View process tree with same basic info as top

See the Monitor Linux System Resources guide over at the VPSLink Wiki for additional monitoring suggestions and scripts which help automate resource monitoring.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    You're most welcome - glad we could get things sorted.