Thread: msql installation, vps, ubuntu 9

Junior Member Newbie

Default msql installation, vps, ubuntu 9

Hi,

I'm a new customer, and unfortunately not very knowledgeable about vps. I chose the "ubuntu 9" os for my new vps server -- it doesn't appear to have a LAMP stack installed. I happily used apt-get to install apache-2, (following the howto at help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP)

but installing mysql fails with an out-of-memory error:

/etc/init.d/mysql: fork: Cannot allocate memory

Is this the right way to go about installing what I need? Am I running into the 512m memory limitation on my server, and is there a workaround (or a good os option with LAMP preinstalled?)

(the primary use I intend for the vps is as a web server, although I chose vps because I would also like to run an svn server, etc).

thanks,
    Devin

incidentally, when I tried to post a ticket through the webpage, I got an error of:

"You don't have permission to access /member/sconsole/new_ticket.bml on this server."

Junior Member Newbie

perhaps I've fixed this myself. Apache was running four servers. A quick killall allowed me to install mysql. I'm curious as to why it didn't just go to swap space -- or is that something that doesn't happen on a vps?

Member Newbie

Please send a PM with your account username and the url you were at when trying to submit a ticket.