Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have problems with email to Comcast ?

Junior Member Newbie

Default Anyone else have problems with email to Comcast ?

For no reason I can fathom, Comcast are blocking all emails sent from my VPS. However the use of their unblocking service advises that the IP is not being blocked (when it clearly is).

I have no problems with any other ISP's. Only Comcast ?!?

Senior Member Does this guy work here?

Hello,

In my personal experience (including prior to working for this company.) the larger the isp becomes, the more strict their spam filter regime becomes. Usually, the bounce back or rejection of the mail will include a url that has a list of what they require for email to be accepted by them. If you follow that, it should be okay. I'm sure it's on their website as well if you do a search for it.

--
    Spry Support

Junior Member Newbie

Indeed the email did, and having followed that procedure I have been advised that the hostname IP is not blocked. however this still happens everytime an email is sent to a comcast user :

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

memnot@comcast.net
    SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host mx2.comcast.net [76.96.30.116]: 554 imta04.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast 64.79.195.96 Comcast blocked for spam. Please see **removed as the forum would not allow it. **

Please pm the url to me. The forum is not allowing the link.

--
    Spry Support

Junior Member Newbie

PM'd .....

Hello,

The link says as follows:
    You have been blocked from emailing the Comcast network because we have determined that you are sending email from dynamic/residential IP space. Comcast does not allow residential/dynamic IP addresses to directly connect to our mail servers. In most cases, Comcast will classify your mail server's IP address as dynamic if the reverse DNS does not comply with standard static naming conventions.

How do I get my IP removed from the blocklist?

It is important that you ask your mail provider to review the settings of your email server to ensure it is set up correctly so that it is not blocked by Comcast in the future. When contacting your email administrator, you should include the error message contained in the email which alerted you to this problem. This error message contains important information to help your email administrator resolve this issue. Removal requests can be sent to Comcast.net Blocked Provider Request Form and will require the IP address of the blocked mail server. Requests submitted through this form are monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to ensure a timely response.

which is obviously a mistake since you have a static IP. Although comcast says your ip isn't blocked, it obviously is somewhere in their system. Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say this, there isn't anything you or I can do. They have somehow incorrectly categorized the ip and the best way to deal with it is to contact them, by the provided form or otherwise, make sure they remove it.

--
    Spry Support
    Last edited by Patrick@Spry; 01-20-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo

Junior Member Newbie

I know, it's frustrating as hell. I've even done live chat with one of their ' support ' people and they simply could not grasp what I was talking about.

There are other threads on other fora on the net with others having similar issues but very few people seem to be able to resolve them.

I suspect the only way to fix it will be able to escalate the problem to one of their more senior personel and as I am not a customer of theirs they just are'nt interested.

Thanks.

Paul

Hello,

I just got this message from a kindred spirit (a certain Mr. Jordan R. from comcast) about this topic:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Folks,

I saw your forum posts today about not being able to send mail to
    Comcast.net addresses. I thought I'd reach out an lend a hand. It
    appears the IP address you're sending from has no valid PTR record. We
    require valid A or MX AND a valid PTR in order to send mail to our
    servers. If you fix that you should be all set.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And he's right, of course (I took for granted that you've already set up mx and ptr record since you're asking for additional help).
    You'll find the reverse dns/ptr record can be set via my.spry.com under the services. The rest can be done from within your whm/cpanel.

--
    Spry Support
    Last edited by Patrick@Spry; 01-21-2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: typo

Junior Member Newbie

I thought I had it setup OK ? A check of the hostname seems to confirm that the PTR record is correct ??

Thus :

Your reverse (PTR) record:
    96.195.79.64.in-addr.arpa -> 96.195.79.64.in-addr.arpa
    You have reverse (PTR) records for all your IPs, that is a good thing.

Hello,

A proper rdns record needs to resolve to the hostname of the email server. That's just the default value for the ip.

--
    Spry Support