Thread: A few other Bind and Reverse DNS Questions

Junior Member Newbie

Default A few other Bind and Reverse DNS Questions

Hey

I got my mind server setup. I do however have two domain names I want to use and I want one domain name to go to one of my IPs and the other to go to the other. I cannot figure out how I would set this up correctly. In WebMin would I create another master zone? Then mimic the setup except have ns1.<other name server>.com. Would I create a slave zone instead? Should I have ns1.<firstnameserver>.com ns2.<firstnameserver>.com and then for the other one have ns1.<other domain>.com etc? Or should I only have one name server associated with one IP?

Also right now when I type in my domain name www.onebulb.com it goes to the write IP but the IP appears in the status bar? I have a CNAME setup from www.onebulb.com --> onebulb.com, but nothing else. I would prefer that all address such as onebulb.com go to www.onebulb.com

Anyone know how to set this up correctly?

Next to I hve to send in a ticket for reverse dns? I tried setting it up inbind with no luck.

Thanks

Former Employee Newbie

I got my mind server setup.
    I assume you are talking about BIND.
    I do however have two domain names I want to use and I want one domain name to go to one of my IPs and the other to go to the other. I cannot figure out how I would set this up correctly. In WebMin would I create another master zone? Then mimic the setup except have ns1.<other name server>.com.
    Yes.
    Would I create a slave zone instead?
    No.
    Should I have ns1.<firstnameserver>.com ns2.<firstnameserver>.com and then for the other one have ns1.<other domain>.com etc? Or should I only have one name server associated with one IP?
    Lets say your nameservers are ns1.name.com and ns2.name.com. You want to use them for 2 domains domain1.com and domain2.com. You will have to create 2 zonefiles, one for each domain. The zone files will be almost the same, except that domain1.com will point to IP1 and domain2.com will point to IP2. The NS records will be the same (both domains are using ns1.name.com and ns2.name.com).
    Also right now when I type in my domain name www.onebulb.com it goes to the write IP but the IP appears in the status bar? I have a CNAME setup from www.onebulb.com --> onebulb.com, but nothing else. I would prefer that all address such as onebulb.com go to www.onebulb.com
    This is most likely due to your apache configuration. You will have to edit httpd.conf (usually in /usr/local/apache/conf).
    Next to I hve to send in a ticket for reverse dns? I tried setting it up inbind with no luck.
    Yes, you have to go to https://www.spry.com/support/myaccount and send a reverse DNS request.

Thank you for choosing Spry.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Thank You

Thanks, that answered all my questions.

You've been a big help.