Thread: VPS Setup

Junior Member Newbie

Default VPS Setup

I'll be honest, I'm not very good at VPS. I have one currently, but the service sucks and the support is twice as bad. I hate that company, I've been there about a month and my site, seriously, has not seen one minute of uptime.

I've been looking around and have heard nothing but good things about Spry. So what I'm wondering is this...

I'm looking for good VPS service, however I'm not experienced with VPS much. The only reason I use it is because the website I'm attempting to run requires all kinds of features to be enabled that no shared server in their right mind would grant. Basically, the site has to have access to a few things that there's no way a shared hosting company would allow only one user to do.

So, it must be done on VPS (unless I want to shell out $300/month for the site developer to host it, I think not) and I'm left in quite a spot. So what I was wondering before I purchase a hosting plan, is there any way that I could get the Spry staff to setup my website for me? I'm very experienced with web design and maintenance and all that, but this is the first project that has required VPS, so I've really never had much use for it. I would be more than willing to pay a little extra to have them do this, it's a very simple setup (for someone with VPS experience), I almost got it installed, but the crappy company I'm with now doesn't know WTF they're talking about and tried to fix something, now they f***ed it all up and my site won't even display a graphic let alone a CGI file.

If the Spry staff would not be willing to do this, would anyone (experienced) be interested in making a quick $20-30 by doing this? Here is the installation manual:

http://docs.envex.com/xflow5/pdf/ins...ion_manual.pdf
    As you can see, it looks pretty basic, it's only 4 steps.
    1. Upload
    2. CHMOD
    3. PERL Modules
    ---DBI
    ---DBD::MySQL or DBD::Pg
    ---Digest::MD5
    ---Crypt::SSLeay
    4. Complete Installation (compile a .c script, change defaulttype, load a crontab file)

That's it. Any responses are appreciated.

Thank you for your interest in Spry Hosting.

All Spry VPS plans feature root access. Root access allows you to install any third party software you would like free of charge.

Spry Support can perform 3rd party software installations, but this is not within the standard scope of support. This service is available at a rate of $100 per hour, with a 30-minute minimum. This fee is in addition to any software licensing fees that may be necessary.

Because every software package is unique, it is difficult to estimate exactly how long installation will take, especially when the software hooks into other software such as apache or php.

If you would like to have Spry install your 3rd party or custom application, please provide us with the installation specifications and our technical team will be able to determine the feasability of installing the software.

For full details on Spry's Support Policy, please see: http://www.spry.com/about/policies/support.html