Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apt-get

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Default apt-get

Either the Debian users don't know about these forums, or don't need any help so I'll get the ball rolling here!

I hate to start out on a bad note, but there is a caveat to using Debian under Virtuozzo (all Spry VPS packages.) apt-get dist-upgrade will break your system... badly!

The reason for this is the developers of Virtuozzo have been a little behind on releasing an updated OS template for use in a VPS. We're currently installing Woody (3.0). Doing an apt-get dist-upgrade will attempt to upgrade your VPS to the latest stable version, which means kernel and libc upgrades. Don't do it!

Every VPS on a hardware node shares the same kernel, and cannot be upgraded/modified from within your environment. This means when you reboot your server to load the new kernel, and the old one loads instead, your modutils and glibc will be very very confused. The only way we can recover from this is to reinstall your virtual environment, which means your disk space will be reformatted, and any customization you have done will be gone. We may be able to recover some files, but the OS will have to be reinstalled.

I have a theory that pinning the kernel-image package (and any dependent packages) to their current installed version in apt would allow apt-get dist-upgrade to work, but this has not been tested. If you have successfully used dist-upgrade, please share the knowledge here!

Please note this does not mean you cannot use apt-get update or apt-get upgrade to upgrade other applications! Have at it!

Junior Member Newbie

apt-get dist-upgrade works fine on my vps.
    However the apt package database is a bit screwy on fresh install, for some reason around 50 packages were selected for installation.

Junior Member Newbie

Default More apt info on Debian

I just signed up for Webmin VPS 200, and I notice that "new out of the box" the webin-apache module was broken. I'm guessing this is because apache2 is installed and the module is for apache 1.3x.

One of the first things I did was set up pinning and ran an update. I removed php4, installed php5, and downloaded 66 MB of packages.

While I'm *just* getting started, I don't see any problems. I don't want to break anything... yet.

Junior Member Newbie

Lyle,

In correction to my post above, i guess it would break on default install.
    However i forgot to mention that i had installed a package called task-vserver
    from here: http://apt.utsl.gen.nz/debian/

Description: vserver conflicts package
    It does not make sense to install some packages on a vserver.
    Therefore, this package provides conflicts: relationships for those

Junior Member Newbie

Debian Webmin VPS has been fairly painless for me so far compared to RH or FreeBSD, so you are right Lyle, I haven't needed a lot of help!

I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list, then ran apt-get update and apt-get -u upgrade. After a reboot it automagically worked for the most part.

There were a lot of 3.1 upgrades that needed to be installed, which I wonder why Spry didn't build in the default Debian 3.1 VPS installation.

I also had to reinstall anacron to get it to run logrotate since the default Spry Debian 3.1 installation didn't include all of the default configuration files, which meant anacron was never run by cron. I was wondering why my logs never rotated and finally tracked the problem to the anacron installation.

Junior Member Newbie

I wonder, now that Debian 4 has been out for some weeks - will it be possible at all to upgrade or will the servers be running 3.1 till the end of days? Of course all works fine now, but what will happen after the old distribution is not supported anymore in terms of security patches etc.?

BB

Junior Member Newbie

Default Debian 4.0?

I also am wondering about this... What can we expect in terms of the upgrade?

I would prefer to know this now, so that I can make plans accordingly.

Thanks!

Junior Member Newbie

Okay, so I went ahead and took the plunge after fiddling around adding Debian Etch modules and upgrades individually.

apt-get dist-upgrade

All seems well...

Note, Webmin leaves still reads Debian 3.1, but "warns" that actually you have 4.0 running. And I simply clicked the box asking Webmin to update the version number. Done. No problems. Yet.

Junior Member Newbie

Default So it works...

Hi Erik,
    I am thinking to upgrade my sarge to etch.
    Did you upgrade all your system? All your packages?

Junior Member Newbie

Default Wow!

It is incredible!
    I did this morning.
    Very easy to upgrade my sarge to etch .