Thread: need help getting Domain to resolve.

Junior Member Newbie

Default need help getting Domain to resolve.

Hi--
    I transferred my site from another ISP, and their name registrar has the domain. I changed the name server yesterday. it has propagated. my old site no longer works. the bad news is your dns servers are not listing the site. Can you help with this? I opened a ticket hours ago. this is a business, so I need this online asap. I did the dnsStuff check, (see below), and it was all ok except the dns host, at spry.
    thanks,
    ml12

DNSreport for wrlds.com
    Generated by at 04:39:30 GMT on 31 Dec 2007.

Category Status Test Name Information
    Parent PASS
    Missing Direct Parent check OK. Your direct parent zone exists, which is good. Some domains (usually third or fourth level domains, such as example.co.us) do not have a direct parent zone ('co.us' in this example), which is legal but can cause confusion.

INFO NS records at parent servers
    Your NS records at the parent servers are:

ns1.dnscloud.com. [209.59.193.17] [TTL=172800] [US]
    ns2.dnscloud.com. [64.246.165.245] [TTL=172800] [US]
    [These were obtained from d.gtld-servers.net]

PASS Parent nameservers have your nameservers listed OK.
    When someone uses DNS to look up your domain, the first step (if it doesn't already know about your domain) is to go to the parent servers. If you aren't listed there, you can't be found. But you are listed there.

PASS Glue at parent nameservers OK. The parent servers have glue for your nameservers. That means they send out the IP address of your nameservers, as well as their host names.

PASS DNS servers have A records OK. All your DNS servers either have A records at the zone parent servers, or do not need them (if the DNS servers are on other TLDs). A records are required for your hostnames to ensure that other DNS servers can reach your DNS servers. Note that there will be problems if your DNS servers do not have these same A records.

FAIL
    A timeout occurred getting the NS records from your nameservers! None of your nameservers responded fast enough. They are probably down or unreachable. I can't continue since your nameservers aren't responding. If you have a Watchguard Firebox, it's due to a bug in their DNS Proxy, which must be disabled (31 Jul 2006 UPDATE: several years after being informed of this, there is a rumor that there is a fix that allows the Watchguard DNS proxy to work).

Member Newbie

The problem you have is that the domain is pointed to the incorrect nameserver hostnames. Please update your domain's nameservers to be:
    ns13.dnscloud.com
    ns14.dnscloud.com

Those servers will answer requests for DNS info for your domain:
    # dig wrlds.com @ns13.dnscloud.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> wrlds.com @ns13.dnscloud.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 47496
    ;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;wrlds.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    wrlds.com. 14400 IN A 64.79.192.162

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    wrlds.com. 86400 IN NS ns13.dnscloud.com.
    wrlds.com. 86400 IN NS ns14.dnscloud.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns13.dnscloud.com. 14400 IN A 64.79.195.106
    ns14.dnscloud.com. 14400 IN A 64.79.192.162

;; Query time: 1 msec
    ;; SERVER: 64.79.195.106#53(ns13.dnscloud.com)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Dec 31 10:19:20 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 122