Thread: Looking for a new host + Suggestion

Junior Member Newbie

Default Looking for a new host + Suggestion

Hi,

Well after 48 Hours of signing up with a new host I'm looking for someone else... The support has been non existant and being a new customer this is the time where impressions are ever lasting... And I'm desperately wanting to bail before I lose what customers I do have..

Anyways.. my suggestion first... A section for feedback and pre sales questions..

My Hosting is pushing approx 50gig a month at present, and I'm mainly wanting the additional space for backups. With the options to run dual VPS with backups running between them to ensure no data loss if anything should go wrong.. I've already lost everything 60hours ago.. And having to start from scratch thanks to my previous host, so now I'm having to be rather anal about support and backups.

Query..

1. Looking for feedback from customers. Uptime, service, etc.

2. VPS 200.. Bandwidth states unmetered... so is there a limit? is the speed capped at all?? ie. 1.0mbs?

I have found some bizare bandwidth options that hosts use to make things sound like your are getting more.. But I am a straight up tell it how I see it guy, and I just want ot know what I'm going to be in for upfront.

Looking forward to hearing from people.

Thanks,

Dan

Yes the unmetered bandwidth is capped at 1.5Mbps (T1). I've been with spry since august and have always found the support to be very prompt and helpful. As for uptime I haven't actually been monitoring it but there were several issues a while back with disk problems on the hardware node my VPS is on which resulted in several hours of downtime over several days.

That's about as much as I can say from personal experience but I read lots of forums before signing up and Spry were always spoken of kindly.

Good luck.
    "They think they've tricked you. And then they have."

Junior Member Newbie

hmm

1.5mps sounds like SFA really.. What's the best download speed you can get off your server.. I see the second plan is 250g... why not just make it uncapped for 100gig.. or 150gb..

I can't have 100+ users online all sitting on 20KB/S cause my host has restriced bandwidth for whatever reason.. Sounds like it is just a means to restrict the over all bandwidth you can physically do in a month.

What is the highest bandwidth that has been done in a month?

Thanks for your response

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    1.5mps sounds like SFA really.. What's the best download speed you can get off your server..
    Just loaded 80MB of openoffice from one of their US servers to mine at 600KB/s average (bytes not bits, over FTP) then loaded it from my server onto one of my university machines at 300KB/s (HTTP). I then loaded it back from uni to server over HTTP at 230KB/s. Make of it what you will.

I can't have 100+ users online all sitting on 20KB/S cause my host has restriced bandwidth for whatever reason.. Sounds like it is just a means to restrict the over all bandwidth you can physically do in a month.
    Well yes, it is. But it suits me just fine. It means I don't have to worry about going over my bandwidth allowance. If I get loads of traffic one day it will slow everyone down a bit but as I don't serve large files it shouldn't be too noticeable.

What is the highest bandwidth that has been done in a month?
    I don't have any very high traffic sites so I can't really comment.
    "They think they've tricked you. And then they have."

Member Newbie

The 1.5 megabit cap should allow you to push approximately 450 gigabytes in a month if used fully.

Regards,

Spry

Junior Member Newbie

I wasn't really interested in the overal total in a month anything over 100gb is more than sufficient.. I was more concerned with how much bandwidth users will be battling for..

so 3 users trying to download a file will only get approx 100kb/sec each.. That's the sort of sums I was trying to determine.

Thanks,

Dan

Junior Member Newbie

Thumbs up

Hey, I have a VPS200 and am mostly satisfied...

When I am downloading a file, so it gets up to top download speed with the server, a few times its been around 500kb/s, of course sometimes it can be in the 100, depending on how much is being downloaded at once, if theres 5 people getting 5 things, it will be a little slower....The only problems i have had is with the memory a few times, and then one time the hardware node had a kernel failure, but it was maybe 10 minutse and it was back up Overall, 10 out of a 10 for spry!

Junior Member Newbie

well I have been monitoring a VPS200 and here is the result:
    http://www.serviceuptime.com/users/u...5cdf9d3&Id=307