Thread: BIND Initial Setup

Junior Member Newbie

Default BIND Initial Setup

Greetings!

I have an issue that is confusing me a little with BIND (is there anything that isn't confusing with BIND?)

Currently I have a number of registered domains - but only one active. If someone with some bind experience could cast their eye over this for me please I'd appreciate it to see if I'm on the right track.

In the initial setup I have the following:-

1) Created a Master Zone of mydomain.com

2) In Addresses I have setup two - namely
    (a) mydomain.com 1.2.3.4
    (b) mail.mydomain.com 1.2.3.4

(although I have 2 IP addresses do I need to duplicate these or leave as is?)

3) In Name Server Records I have:
    (a) mydomain.com ns1.mydomain.com
    (b) mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com

4) In Name Alias Records I have:
    (a) www.mydomain.com mydomain.com

(Question - do I need to add ns1 and ns2 entries to this?)

5) In Mail Server Records I have:
    (a) mydomain.com mail.mydomain.com

(Question - do I need to make any changes to Postfix with this name change? When the system was new the /etc/hostname was set to server.mydomain.com - SHOULD I now change this to mail.mydomain.com?)

Sorry for all the questions - I've run off some HowTo's on the web, but most are written for different platforms than Debian.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Clint.
    Last edited by clintph; 12-09-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Member Newbie

I'm a little unclear on some of the points regarding your questions. So I'll try and cover what I think you're trying to ask with a brief intro to DNS.

When you set up a domain you will usually point the domain to one address as you did
    Code:
    mydomain.com. 14400 IN A 10.0.0.1
    A basic set up for mail involves two records, one that specifies the Mail eXchange (MX) for the domain, and a second that gives the address or canonical name (CNAME) for the mail server. So the basic setup would either look like
    Code:
    mydomain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.mydomain.com
    mail.mydomain.com. 14400 IN A 10.0.0.1
    or
    Code:
    mydomain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.mydomain.com
    mail.mydomain.com. 14400 IN CNAME mydomain.com.
    You normally wouldn't point the mail server to the second IP address, but you can if you want. You will have to make sure postfix is set up to receive mail for your domain, but this is separate from setting up the DNS records.

Like mail servers, name servers have to have a record specifing they're nameservers (NS), and address records. Each domain has to have a minimum of two name servers. You can call them whatever you want, but most people don't bother getting very creative, and stick with names like 'ns1' or 'dns1'. So the nameserver entries would look something like
    Code:
    mydomain.com. 14400 IN NS ns1.mydomain.com.
    mydomain.com. 14400 IN NS ns.mydomain.com. 
    ns1.mydomain.com. 14400 IN A 10.0.0.1
    ns2.mydomain.com. 14400 IN A 10.0.0.2
    You will also have to make sure that the nameservers are registered with your domain registrar, but this is something you do independent of setting up the domains records on the server.

Any guide you find on the web related to BIND should work with Debian. The location/name of certain files might change, but the format of the zone files will be the same on any distribution that's using BIND.

Hope this helps.

Junior Member Newbie

Thanks Andrew for the help.

I think I worked this out - at least I'm up and running!

I have posted another question re subdomains - but think that I may have solved this as I added all subdomains as Address entries in Bind.

I have a number of other 'registered' domains, so would I add these to Bind the same way I have for my primary domain?

eg. domain123.com domain456.com etc .....

Thanks Again,

Regards,

Clint.

Member Newbie

I have posted another question re subdomains - but think that I may have solved this as I added all subdomains as Address entries in Bind.
    I'll address those questions there.

I have a number of other 'registered' domains, so would I add these to Bind the same way I have for my primary domain?
    Yes. Adding other domains should work just the same as adding the first domain.