Thread: website domain not online for some peole

Junior Member Newbie

Angry website domain not online for some peole

Hello,

My Tiffin Park and Recreation website is usually down on my home pc at and sometimes down at my work location, but on my phone connected with 3G it usually is running.

Many people tell me that they cannot access our website at Very frustrating. Can someone please help me

Thanks,
    Steve

Moderator Newbie

It loads fine for me, presuming it's Tiffin Park & Recreation. Can you give some more information about the problem? Perhaps what error message people are seeing?

Junior Member Newbie

Google Chrome: This webpage is not available
    The webpage at []Tiffin Park & Recreationl] might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

IE: This page can't be displayed

•Make sure the web address []Tiffin Park & Recreation[/url] is correct.
    •Look for the page with your search engine.
    •Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Fix connection problems

All other websites are loading for me. The site is down for a few days then back up again. I have other people telling me the []Tiffin Park & Recreation[/url] site is down for them as well. Not everyone just many people.

Moderator Newbie

Hi Steve. It still seems to load just fine for me. I find the DNS error interesting, and the fact that it seems to work well at some locations, but not others.

Here are my thoughts to help troubleshoot this:
    - Who is your ISP at work and home? I'm curious to know if the problem persists across ISPs.
    - Try setting your workstation to use a different DNS server (like Google's public DNS or other) and see if your results are any different. Especially do this at home, where you seem to be able to reproduce the problem consistently.
    - Open a trouble ticket and see if support can find anything wrong with your DNS zone file. I don't see anything wrong from what is publicly visible, but support can actually look at your account. (As I'm not an employee, there's only so much I can do from here)

Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation

I've been having this problem as well. Most irritating. I can't even log in to cPanel or WHM and can't connect my ftp client.

I was able to ascertain that, for whatever reason, AT&T has been blocking a range of Spry's IP Addresses from their DNS and I wonder if others haven't been as well.

AT&T offered a workaround for it. I can't post a link yet, but if you Google "AT&T DNS errors blocking access to some of my sites" it should come up right after any sponsored links. I tried it, but it didn't work for me and neither did the Google public DNS.

A few months ago, you may recall (it was in the news) AT&T service went down all across the south for several days. I wonder if it was due to an attack that came (at least in part) through Spry VPS.

At any rate, I am at wits' end trying to figure out what to do next. We have 18,000 members who depend on our site for the information we bring them. It really makes us look shoddy.
    Last edited by JoeReeves; 05-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Hi Steve. It still seems to load just fine for me. I find the DNS error interesting, and the fact that it seems to work well at some locations, but not others.

Here are my thoughts to help troubleshoot this:
    - Who is your ISP at work and home? I'm curious to know if the problem persists across ISPs.
    - Try setting your workstation to use a different DNS server (like Google's public DNS or other) and see if your results are any different. Especially do this at home, where you seem to be able to reproduce the problem consistently.
    - Open a trouble ticket and see if support can find anything wrong with your DNS zone file. I don't see anything wrong from what is publicly visible, but support can actually look at your account. (As I'm not an employee, there's only so much I can do from here)
    On a more technical note, while AT&T U-verse is my ISP, many of our users do not have them as their ISP. I was able to see that the site is, indeed, being served by pulling it up through megaproxy.com's free applet. So, I paid the $9.95 to try it out with SSL for 90 days. No dice. Our SSL Certificate is not set up properly because I don't know how to set it up properly and Spry wants $154 to do it for us. As a result, megaproxy.com won't allow access to the cPanel or WHM, which are only available over SSL.

I also tried connecting my FTP Client (WS_FTP Pro) directly to our IP Address and it still would not find it. Of course, I was already using the IP Address in PuTTY which will no longer connect either.

I have been through the support ticket process on this. Spry went through our DNS Zone File and couldn't find anything wrong with it. They did a DNS Flush and they are where I learned about megaproxy.com. Basically, it seems that since Spry is able to load the site and since Spry VPS are self-managed, Spry tech isn't very interested in resolution and has summarily brushed us off as something less than a significant entity ... which we are, perhaps, to them. But, regardless, I am left with the task of figuring out what to do.

Any knowledgeable assistance would be eternally appreciated.

I'll be trying to gain access to our backend on a different computer from a different location later today. I'll report my findings here.
    Last edited by JoeReeves; 05-10-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Junior Member Newbie

I was able to log in to cPanel from the other location. I started to download files and at 13% it just stopped. I closed the window and then tried to relog and it showed the same response I was getting here at home. I guess the solution will be to fire Spry, get a refund and migrate to a host that's more user-friendly.
    Last edited by JoeReeves; 07-23-2013 at 01:28 AM.