Thread: Power madness, notification sadness

Junior Member Newbie

Default Power madness, notification sadness

Pretty disappointed with Spry's handling of last night's power absurdities. They can't control the power they get from the Westin, but they can control notifying customers. The outage notice in the Maintenance forum is grossly understated. I counted 10 crashes or reboots between ~5:40pm and ~12:40am. And when I called support after the first crash and then forced reboot, they had no idea that they were even experiencing a power issue and no idea that administrators were rebooting nodes.

Spry's weakest link in their support continues to be their lack of timely and comprehensive notifications when emergencies occur. Spry, some of us want to be in the loop and not have to call friends at other network operators in the Westin to get some info on what's going on. Please write up a perl script that zaps notifications to customer's email already.

Junior Member Newbie

~5:50pm, 24 hours later. Yet another server crash and another unannounced immediate forced reboot. No notifications, no notices on the forum.

*sigh*

Junior Member Newbie

spry.com/network-datacenter/

FailSafe Power Supply

Our Network Operations Center currently has 800amps 480v 3-Phase of available power. The facility is backed up and protected by UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) systems on each individual rack, as well as a system for facility-wide enterprise coverage. In the unlikely event of a utility outage, our diesel generator automatically starts providing power through the UPS systems and supplies all necessary power for the facility. The generator is powered by a 500 gallon fuel tank, capable of running without refueling for approximately 80 hours.

Why are you losing power at the same exact time that other network operators in the Westin are? Where are your redundant systems? Are you feeding your servers direct from building provided power?

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Junior Member Newbie

Drop the bad city/building power, crank up the generators. The city power issues aren't going away in the next few hours. Personally, I'd rather spend some money on fuel than shorten the life of my hardware with brownouts, and lose customers because of excessive reboots.

(As a side note, I am so glad I'm not responsible for a DC in the Westin anymore.)